Chapter 16 - On the Origin of Syrup

"I'm sorry." Was all I could say before I ran out of the train, wanting nothing more than to get away. Seeing the look of hurt on his face caused something in me to break, a feeling I have never felt before in my life. I didn't know how to deal with it, so I ran into the night, from the situation, and from Jacob. 'What am I going to do?' I thought as I ran.

Time skip

After walking around London for a few hours to clear my head, as well as killing some Blighters who were terrorising the people, I decided to make my way back to the train, even though I was dreading it the closer I got. I had managed to spend the last few hours not even worrying about it but, it's still there, and it always will be until the matter is resolved. There's just one problem, I don't know how to fix it, I don't know how to resolve this situation.

I scaled the buildings and stuck to the shadows, as I didn't want to deal with anymore Blighters, as I made my way back to the train. The closer I got, the more afraid I became. 'This isn't like me. I shouldn't be feeling this way but, with Jacob I can't help it. He's the only one who has ever ignited these feelings within me, and that scares me. I don't know how to deal with it, I don't know how to face Jacob after we almost kissed, I just don't know what to do.' Before I knew it, I had reached the entrance of the train. I put my hand on the door of one of the carriages, only to hesitate. 'What if he's there? I don't think I'm ready to face him.' I pulled my hand away from the door and was about to walk away, only to be stopped by Henry.

"Oh, good evening (Name). Are you heading inside?" He said.

"Good evening Henry and, I'm actually thinking of heading out again." I replied.

"But you only just got here. Is everything alright? I noticed how you were out for quite some time."

"I needed to clear my head. So much has happened in just a short amount of time, I needed to process it all." Ok, that wasn't all completely true, and I think Henry knew that.

"This wouldn't have anything to do with Jacob, would it?" My eyes went wide as I looked at him in shock, wondering how he came to that conclusion.

"W-Why would you ask that?" I mentally scolded myself for stuttering but, I couldn't help it. Just his name alone brings up the memory of the kiss we almost had.

"Just a feeling. I came back to the train a little while ago and saw that Jacob was here and you weren't. I figured you both would be back since you both went on a mission, so I was a little surprised when I saw that you weren't here with him. Also, Evie might've mentioned something before."

"Oh." Was all I could say.

"Evie didn't say much, so I don't know what exactly happened between the two of you but, I do now that it'll all work out in the end, regardless of what trials are thrown your way.

"What do you mean by that exactly?"

"You and Jacob, there's something there that you rarely find between two people. A spark, you could call it. If you want my advice, don't push away your feelings, it's not every day you find something so wonderful. Hold onto it and don't let it go."

"But Henry, feelings only compromise the mission. You know we can't allow our personal feelings to be shown, it could be used against us."

"Or it could be just the strength you need to succeed."

"I can't allow personal feelings to get in the way, my priority is the mission, I can't allow something like that to distract me from our goal."

"What about after? What about once we've freed London from Starrick? Would you still hide how you truly feel? Or would you tell Jacob and see where life takes you from there?" It was silent after he spoke, allowing me to process what he said.