Chapter 19 - Overdose

Jacob's POV

My heart feels heavy as I make my way to the asylum, worry coursing through my veins as I haven't heard from (Name) all night, nor did she show up this morning. 'I really hope nothing bad has happened to her.' I thought, but then I remembered that she is one hell of an assassin. 'I'm sure that she can handle whatever is thrown her way.' With that reassuring thought, I continued my way, hoping to get this over with so that I can look for (Name), as well as being one step closer to freeing London.

'Mr. Frye!" Was the first thing Charles said the moment he saw me. "I trust that you had a productive meeting with Mr. Owen?"

"Oh yes, we had a most wonderful chat. I've found that the man behind Starrick's Soothing Syrup is John Elliotson." A look of recognition crossed his face once I said the man's name.

"Dr. Elliotson? I haven't heard that name in a long while. He was a brilliant heart specialist, until he became obsessed with phrenology and mesmerism. It ruined his career. Well, how shall we proceed?"

"Oh, with all respect, Mr. Darwin, I believe I should proceed alone. After all, we wouldn't want to attract any...unwanted attention."

"Sounds very wise. Good luck, my boy." He gave me a pat on the back and was about to walk away, only to speak once again. "Oh, and, Mr. Frye, should you find yourself with any free time, please, do call on me." With that, he begins to cheerfully whistle as he walks away. As he was leaving, I begin to infiltrate the asylum. Once I was inside, I begin to look around.

"Where would I find the doctor?" Turning corners both left and right, I eventually came across a window where I saw an older man, Dr. Elliotson I believe, performing what looks to be a painful trepanation procedure on a patient's brain in front of, what seems to be, a bunch of students.

"Hmm..." Was all I said as I looked on, wondering what was going to happen next. Elliotson had removed the instrument from the patient's head, only to have him die.

"Well, as you've just witnessed, the application of too much pressure can sometimes result in...unexpected outcomes. Unfortunately, it appears I've, ruined the organ." He said before walking over to the wall with some sort of communication device attached.

"Send up a cadaver." He said into it.

"At once, Dr. Elliotson." Someone replied.

Looking away from the window, I activated my eagle vision to look around and see what kind of advantages I can find around the area. The first thing I noticed was an asylum patient being put through what looks to be a gruesome electroconvulsive session. Making a mental note to help them out, I looked around once again and noticed a nurse speaking to one of the guards.

"I don't care about your ethics!" The guard begins to say. "And I care even less about your damned patients. Now hand over your keys!" The guard ripped the keys from the nurse's hand.

"What are you doing?!" She yelled out.

"Haven't you heard? You're fired! Now bugger off." With that, he walks away. Deactivating my eagle vision, I begin to ponder.

"How to do it." I said out loud. While thinking about my options, I decided to explore the asylum a little more, only to stumble upon two more guards. I quickly found a hiding spot to listen in on their conversation.

"So, what's this I hear about Dr. Elliotson's experiments?" The second guard said.

"That fellow holds a candle to the devil himself." The third one replied.

"Did you hear about his new test subject? She was brought in just last night." The second guard's words piqued my curiosity.

"Yeah, I could hear her screams echo throughout the whole asylum this morning. Whatever he did to her, it's only going to get worse when he sees her again." Nothing more was said as they begin to walk away. After making sure that they were fully gone, I walked out of my hiding spot and begin to make my way to the nurse, thinking about their conversation the whole way there. 'Why do I get the feeling they were talking about (Name)? I mean, she went out again last night and never came back, nor was she there in the morning. Damn, I really hope it wasn't her. Who knows what could have happened to her?' I begin to worry about her once again, really hoping that she isn't here in the asylum and that she is somewhere safe and unharmed.