Chapter 40 - Strange Bedfellows

After saying goodbye to father and making sure I had a few of my belongings as well as my cloak to make sure no one would see who I am, Mr. Roth and I had left the house. We begin making our way to the Alhambra Music Hall, where I would be spending most of the time as Mr. Roth seems to be there most of his time. Although I just met the man, I knew I was in capable hands as my father seems to trust him to a certain degree. Though a part of me felt like something was going to happen in the next few days, whether it be good or bad, I truly cannot say.

"Mr. Roth, how do you know my father?" I find myself asking in curiosity. I'm not exactly aware of the work my father does, he said it's to keep my safe, so I happen to find myself curious as to how he and Mr. Roth know each other.

"Ah, your father and I met...under certain circumstances...and have a sort of agreement with one another." He said in a rather cryptic way.

"Certain circumstances? An agreement? What is it that my father does?"

"He hasn't told you?"

"All he said to me was that there are assassins around London, and that I should stay away from them. That all he wants is to keep me safe from them."

"Ah, the assassins. I find myself rather interested in them to be honest, specifically one of them to be honest. It just so happens that I sent out an invite to one of them. You my dear, are in for a good time. Pity that you have to remain a secret, the look on their face would be priceless indeed if they knew who you were." I couldn't help but grow even more confused at his words. Just what is this man on about? And why would he invite an assassin when they are dangerous? Other than that, why would the assassin appear to have such a reaction if they saw me? So many questions, and not enough answers.

"Mr. Roth, if I may? Which assassin has peaked your interest?"

"The one and only Jacob Frye." My eyes widened in shock at the name, a part of me thrilled to see him once again and to try and find out just who he is to me and how he knows me. But another part of me is scared and should try and keep my identity from him. Instead of pondering on it, and mentally preparing myself to see him again, I changed the subject.

"Is there anything I should do to make sure no one knows who I am, Mr. Roth? I asked after a few moments of silence. I figured it would be best to not ask about anything else to do with the assassin, especially when I'm meant to stay away from them.

"Ah yes, your father made it really clear about you remaining hidden. Well then, since you'll be by my side, how about pretending to be a waitress around the theatre, and a sort of maid of mine when out and about? You won't be spending all your time in the theatre after all, oh no my dear, I've got a few ideas that will make things interesting for sure." I pondered his words and found myself agreeing with the idea.

"Do these plans have anything to do with my father?"

"But of course. But that will be our little secret." Nothing more was said as we continued to the theatre.

Jacob's POV

"A dinner invitation." I said as I held the letter addressed to me in my hands. 

"And with whom are you dining this evening." Evie said as she stopped what she was doing and turned towards me. 

"Maxwell Roth."

"The leader of the Blighter's? You're not going."

"Of course not."

Mini time skip

As the day begins to end, I make my way to the Alhambra Music Hall, but was not received upon checking the front entrance.