Chapter 46 - Double Trouble

Jacob's POV

After (Name) left, I couldn't help but feel mad that I let her go. She just left, and I have no idea where she is going, nor what she is doing. 'To think that she was that close to me. And yet, she didn't even tell me herself, as if she didn't want me to know. Once this is done, her and I are going to talk.' I thought as I made my way out of the cart and into the next one, where Evie appeared to be waiting for me. 'How she didn't even know (Name) was here just moments ago is beyond me. Then again, she was probably with Greenie, or thinking about him. How predictable.'

"You're late." She begins to say. "Starrick is making his move. The Piece of Eden is somewhere inside the Buckingham Palace." Here we go again about the bloody Piece of Eden. I honestly couldn't care less. All I cared about was taking Starrick down, and bringing (Name) back home, back to me.

"Let him have it." I said.

"I've seen your handiwork across the city. Perhaps you should trust my judgement."

"I've been killing Starrick's henchmen. What have you been doing? Let's ask Henry, shall we?"

"I have been repairing your mistakes. "Too much haste is too little speed."

"Don't you quote Father at me."

"It's Plato! And I am sorry this doesn't involve anything you can destroy. Father was right, he never approved of your methods!"

"Father is dead!" Before it could get anymore heated, Greenie walked into the cart and intervened.

"Enough! I have just received word from my spies. At the palace ball tonight, Starrick plans to steal the Piece of Eden and then eliminate all the heads of church and state." He said.

"Once more, for old time's sake?" I said as I looked over at Evie.

"And then we're finished." She replied.

"Agreed. So what's the plan?"

Mini time skip

Sometime later, Mr. and Mrs. Disraeli were invited aboard the train.

"Such an unexpected delight to visit you both. What is the "news on the street?" Mrs. Disraeli said.

"Mrs. Disraeli, we have discovered that there is something inside Buckingham Palace that could threaten the-" Evie begins to say, only for me to cut her off and get straight to the point.

"What my sister's failing to say, is that we require entrance into the ball tonight." I said.

"Impossible! Even if there were any invitation cards remaining, which there are not, someone of your...lowly station..." Mrs. Disraeli said.

"If that damn fool Gladstone is attending this evening, they can have my card." Mr. Disraeli said.

"Perfect. Then I'll go alone." I said.

"Mrs. Disraeli. If you would be kind enough to inform my darling brother of the location of the Gladstones' residence, perhaps he could use his considerable skills to commandeer their cards." Evie said.

"What fun! Did you hear that, Dizzy? We're going to "pinch" the Gladstones' invitations." Mrs. Disraeli said.

"Thank you for volunteering me, sweet sister." I said through clenched teeth, hoping that the Disraeli's wouldn't notice the tension between us. Honestly, I'm surprised it took this long to reach our breaking point. Then again, Evie and I haven't worked together for a while now. She's been off doing her own thing with the Piece of Eden whereas I had (Name) by my side during missions. So I wasn't exactly alone.

"Oh, a pleasure, brother dearest. Now, Mrs. Disraeli, if you would excuse me, I must visit with the Maharajah. It occurs to me that he may have a second set of plans to a certain vault." Evie said. With that all said and done, I made my way out of the train and to the Gladstones' residence.

"The nerve of Evie. Treating me like a child." I said along the way. It wasn't long before I reached the residence, only to find it vacant. "Now where can they be? The ball is tonight. They must have taken the invitations with them." I happened to spot a girl nearby and approached her. "You wouldn't happen to have seen two carriages pass by here just now?"

"I did, sir. One with a man in it, the other with a woman. They split up." The girl said.

"Where did the man go?"

"That way."

"Thank you." Following the girl's directions, I found that Mr. Gladstone was hosting a party. "A private party event? Don't mind if I do."

"No, it will be you alone. So I say to you, the money you earn should stay in your pockets." Mr. Gladstone said.

"Future Prime Minister." "How do you do?" "Sir, an honour." "I salute you, sir." "When will Mr. Disraeli give up the fight? He's certainly outmatched." "We need more moralizing in modern politics." "Indeed we do!" "Madam, what a lovely dress." "Thank you!" "What a turnout!" "Indeed. It is splendid!" Guests around me begin to say. 'What a headache.'

"Thank you for your continued support." "William Gladstone, at your service." "Thank you for supporting me and my party." "I look forward to serving as your Future Prime Minister!" "It is my honour to represent you in Parliament." Mr. Gladstone said to the guests. 'Can I shoot him now? I never liked politics, yet I did try my hand at it a little while back. Ah Cardigan, he was a real prick. Him and his Balaclava.'

"Keep your eyes peeled for any antics!" "Protect Mr. Gladstone." I heard a couple of guards speak out. Not wanting to cause a fuss, I avoided the guards at all costs and managed to take the invitation from Mr. Gladstones' pocket. 'One down, one to go.'

"Maybe I haven't been quite as delicate as I could have been, but still..." I begin to say to myself, reflecting on all that I have done with the boroughs, the gang, the whole bloody lot of it. I quickly shook my head and refocused on the task at hand. I then made my way to Victoria Station, where Mrs. Gladstone was located. "Mrs. Gladstone's under guard. Better be cautious. Better wait until she's alone." It wasn't long before she sat down on a bench.

"Stand back and let me rest a moment." Mrs. Gladstone said.

"Now is my chance." I said. I go and sit on the other side of the seat, and just before I could steal the invitation, Mrs. Gladstone got up from the seat and walked further down the train platform.

"Mr. James' train has arrived." A guard said.

"Finally! I'll be but a moment." Mrs. Gladstone said. She entered a restroom, after which I could follow, feigning to be this Mr. James. "Is that you, my dear?"

"Yes." I replied.

"Your train was late, but all is forgiven. Embrace me!" As much as I didn't want to, I embraced her and managed to steal the invitation. "Oh my word!" I quickly left the restroom. "Come back! Mr. James!" Once I was far enough, I thought about my next course of action.

"One should not attend the Queen's ball without making a proper entrance." I have the Gladstones' invitations, why not take...I mean borrow...their carriage too? Not long later, both the invitations and carriage were in my possession. "Now for the invitations. What's this? "Swords must be left at the door by order of the Queen". Freddy will know what to do." I said nothing else and drove the carriage into an alley.