05: not in that way

05: CHAPTER FIVE

05: CHAPTER FIVE

IT was all over the school before I got a chance to explain things.

"Oh my God, did you hear what happened? Poor thing," I hear a few girls whisper from behind me. Their attempts at being inconspicuous are futile, though I don't reckon they care that much about my existence.

My head thumps against the surface of the window as I wipe pathetically at my face. If only bus rides were as smooth as movies make them out to be...

Phoebe beside me pats my shoulder for the umpteenth time as a gesture of solace. But really what is there to say? I've just had a horrible day and nothing can make me feel better.

Nothing.

I put my phone up and inspect my face. My mascara is starting to smudge around the edges of my eyes, and my nose is as bright as Rudolph's. Why can't I stop crying? It's not like I wasn't expecting something like this.

Maybe, just maybe I had a sliver of hope that things would finally go right for me...

"Why can't one thing in my life go right?" I wail aloud. Phoebe, who isn't much of a talker, simply purses her lips grimly and stares at me with a look of pity.

"There, there..." she mumbles. I can tell she's pretty much done with this conversation when she puts her earbuds in and closes her eyes. Gee, thanks.

My head starts to throb and so I close my eyes, recalling how exactly my social life fell apart yesterday...

"And I was like 'fine' and then he said 'fine'," Taylor tells us. Her brown eyes behind her glasses are shimmering with unshed tears and it consumes everything in me not to roll my eyes.

"Sucks to be you," I comment and then lift my mango smoothie to my lips.

Taylor just narrows her eyes at me but says nothing, instead turning her attention to Makayla beside her. Crystal attempts to make her feel better about the whole ordeal but it's to no avail. Taylor is simply inconsolable.

"What an ass," Makayla muttered thoughtfully. "He doesn't deserve you."

You both deserve each other, I want to say but held my tongue. Because of her petty argument with Martin, I now have to suffer at the table alone without Josh being there to distract me from their attitudes to me. Oh woe, woe is me.

"Forget about him," Crystal speaks up and then claps her hands together. "Let's have a girls night."

The girls talk excitedly amongst themselves while Taylor stares ahead of her blankly. I wish my problems were as minuscule as hers. My eyes dart to Makayla who is staring at me with a little smile on her face. "You coming, right?"