24: not in that way

24: CHAPTER TWENTY-FOUR

"I AM so done with school."

"Mm." I am not paying close attention to Phoebe's words. Instead, I'm facing the other way. My eyes are narrowed as I watch Martin grab Taylor by the waist. She looks uncomfortable to say the least. He spins her around and kisses her. Even from my position here, it looks as if he's shoving his tongue down her throat. I'm surprised they haven't been told off by a teacher yet. He's groping her backside and eating away at her mouth.

"That looks painful," I comment.

"Hmm."

Martin releases Taylor at last. He wraps his arm around her waist, gives me a look that sends shivers down my spine, and disappears around the corner. "He rubs me the wrong way," I mumble.

"Yeah, same."

I spin around to face Phoebe. She's sitting down beside my locker and typing furiously on her MacBook. "How did you guys become friends with him?" I ask and sit down beside her, tucking my skirt under my thighs.

Phoebe doesn't look up from the screen of her laptop when she speaks. "I've known him since primary school," she tells me and I make a noise of confirmation, urging her to continue. "He's always been weird. He used to throw tantrums all the time, and by tantrums I mean full on cussing the teacher out. One time, I caught him killing a pigeon with a rock after school. He literally bashed it over the pigeons head."

My eyebrows shoot up. "And you guys let him into your friendship group?" I deadpan.

Phoebe scoffs. "It's not my fault he's obsessed with Taylor."

This captures my attention. "What do you mean 'obsessed?' It seems pretty mutual to me. Two narcissistic people in a relationship."

"I don't know." Phoebe lifts a shoulder. "In Year 10, he was so creepy. He'd show up everywhere Taylor is and eventually she grew tired of him so she let him hang out with us. That's how we met Josh."

"Wow..." I scratch at my head. "That sounds horrendous." I end up feeling bad for her.

"He's just troubled." Phoebe finally shuts her MacBook. "Come on, let's go to class." She stands up and reaches her hand for me.

I grip her hand and she tugs me up, and together we head to English.

I sit in my usual seat beside Ethan before Annalise can do anything along the lines of that. She's backed off recently, and I'm not sure on whether I should be relieved or anxious. "Hey," I say as I slide into the seat beside him.