55: not in that way

a/n this is the last chapter of the book, so feel free to spam with votes and comments! :')

there won't be a sequel so don't ask for one. I'd like to focus more on my new book that's coming out :)

idc if you don't like the ending bc it's my book, I'm tired of people telling me how to write -.- that's why this update is so late, I was struggling so much with writing an ending that everyone would like. Then I just wrote what I wanted bc I figured it's my book and this is the story I want to tell.

ALSO read the final words section, you'll understand more why I wrote the ending this way <333

also also I published a new book called 'when you least expect it' so go check it out please!

55: CHAPTER FIFTY-FIVE

"CHECKMATE!"

"What?" I demand. That's not possible. "No, let's play again."

"You guys have been at it for the past thirty minutes," Taylor chips in, rolling her eyes. She's sipping on an iced coffee despite the chilly air outside.

Dylan just sticks out his tongue. "Allison can't accept the fact that she's a loser."

My eyes narrow. "Real mature for a twenty year old," I drawl. "Again!"

We assemble the chess pieces once more and start to play. Taylor beside me leans back in her chair and scrolls through her Instagram feed. After a minute of me intently staring at the chess board, Taylor shoves her phone in my face. "What?" I grumble and swat her hand away.

"Crystal looks hungover as fuck in this picture," she says with a slight laugh.

This earns a disgruntled look from her older brother in front of me. "You know what, stop distracting me, Tay!" I mutter and look back at the board, tapping at my chin. I'm starting to grow an unusual addiction to chess, or any board game, really.

"I'm twenty, and I still don't know how to play chess," Izzy quips from her seat beside Taylor. They're both sharing a box of fries between them.

"Your move," Dylan says, leaning forward in the table. There's a crooked grin on his face. He's got me cornered, and he knows it.

My palms start to sweat, in spite of the cool May wind brushing against my legs. I gnaw on my bottom lip. I'm losing, I'm losing so hard. "Umm..." I sputter out, then jab my finger in an unknown direction. "Look, it's Eddie behind you! Good old Eddie."

With a frown, Dylan follows my finger and looks over his shoulder. I quickly swap out some chess pieces on the board and then lean back in my seat with a coy smile on my face. Dylan turns back around and eyes my hands, almost as if expecting me to throw something at him. Izzy and I share an amused look. This slips past Dylan, who continues the game.