26: not in that way

26: CHAPTER TWENTY-SIX

"I GOT the job!"

Ethan is playing a Buzzfeed quiz beside me on the computer. I have just returned from the bathroom, receiving a call from Sandra to let me know that I got the job. "Congratulations," he says. The corner of his lips tip upwards into a small smile.

I'm unable to contain the grin that spreads across my face. "I can't believe this," I mutter.

Ethan clicks on a quiz that is titled 'We Know Which Bob's Burgers You Are Based On How You Like Your Burgers'. He looks over at me and asks, "When do you start?"

"Next week!" I'm still grinning. "This is amazing news!"

Ethan raises his hand that isn't on the computer's mouse. "Up top," he says, and I raise my palm up to slap it against his.

"Ethan, what on Earth are you doing?"

Ethan looks over his shoulder at our English teacher. He murmurs an apology and crosses out the tab. As soon as our teacher is out of sight, he goes back to the website and resumes the quiz. I roll my eyes at his antics and continue typing up my essay.

Once the bell rings, I make my way to my locker when a certain something catches my eye. I almost slip on it in my journey to my locker. I grumble and step around it. It's a green flyer and I pluck it up from the floor, squinting at the words written in bold.

School Representative Council (SRC) elections are to be held this week. Forms for application will be handed out today for anyone interested in joining the council. If anyone has any questions regarding the elections, please speak with Miss Jamison.

Your participation is appreciated.

"Huh," I comment.

"What's that?" A voice joins.

I'm in the process of shoving my books into my locker and I look over my shoulder to see Lila standing behind me. She's staring right at the flyer. "Oh, this?" I wave it around. "It's about the SRC elections. I'm thinking of joining."

"You should," she concurs in a cheery tone.

"No one would vote for me," I say and shrug. I shove the flyer in my locker.

"I totally would," Lila pipes up.

I peek over my shoulder, smiling. "Yeah?"

She smiles, softly this time. "Course I would."

I push back my shoulders and say, "Well then, I guess I'll run."