25: not in that way

a/n dedicated to zannamoh because it's her birthday and she's an amazing friend! You are so supportive and lovely x have a good one

25: CHAPTER TWENTY-FIVE

"FOR never was a story of more woe, than this of Juliet and her Romeo."

We all raise our hands to clap. Ethan beside me doesn't bother to, instead burying his hands in his palms and sighing noisily.

I nudge him. He looks up and, "What?"

"You look annoyed," I note.

Ethan blinks. Then, "I am annoyed. I don't want to be doing this stupid play."

"Me neither," I admit. "Anyway, let's go over our lines again." Today I'm stuck with the unfortunate displeasure of playing Juliet as Annalise was absent from school today. Good riddance, I think to myself.

"Saints do not move, though grant for prayers' sake," I start off and shift to face Ethan.

"Then move not, while my prayer's effect I take," Ethan replies in a monotone voice. He looks up from his paper and says, "This is the part where we kiss, but because you strictly said we can't kiss, then I guess we won't."

I grumble under my breath. "Like I'd ever want to kiss you," I retort, casting him a flat look. "If it comes down to it, will you kiss Annalise?"

Ethan is slow to respond. "I'm not sure if we have to kiss as it is a high school play but even if we do, I don't care. She means nothing to me. It's just a kiss," he reassures me.

I hold a palm up. "Look, I couldn't care less who you kiss. It's just her that I care about. You'll be giving that snake exactly what she wants," I mutter bitterly.

He looks at me like a disappointed parent. "C'mon, Allison. Don't be like that. You know she was bullied at her old school and that's why she moved here?"

I don't bat an eyelid when I say, "Like I give a fuck."

Ethan frowns, "Don't be a bitch."

My eyes widen at this and I sit up straighter. "Did you just call me a bitch?" I exclaim.

"No, I said don't be one. There's a difference," he counters.

I purse my lips. "Look, if you're gonna move to a school just to create drama I don't want to hear it. How do we know she's not lying to gain sympathy?"