15: not in that way

15: CHAPTER FIFTEEN

15: CHAPTER FIFTEEN

THE WALK back home has me sweating from top to bottom.

Admittedly, I stayed a little too long at Donut King and ended up getting a free coffee from Josh. Say what? Now that I think about it, maybe I do seem to have a chance with him. Maybe he's finally realising what a catch I am and maybe he's starting to grow interested in me. Whatever it is, it has significantly improved my gloomy mood from earlier today and had me walking with a bounce to my step.

While in the process of bounding toward my dorm and taking various sips of the coffee in my hand, I bump into an oncoming cyclist and almost spill the hot liquid all over me. "Watch where you're going, dumbass!" the cyclist calls and my frown transitions into a steely glare as I stand on the sidewalk and stare at their back. Although I won't admit it, purchasing a bike might come in handy since I can't afford a car at the moment.

I stand on the sidewalk for a while, watching the cyclist vanish from my sight, and then turn around with a sigh and head back to my dorm.

I take another sip of my coffee as I open the door to my apartment. My grip on the coffee loosens and it slips from in-between my fingers as I spot a tall figure perched on my bed. I put a hand up to my mouth and clamp it shut as I hold back a shriek, creeping closer towards the figure.

Only upon my arrival, my face morphs into a flat look once I realise it's none other than a sleeping Ethan. His legs are dangling off the bed as he sleeps on his side, his curls of hair a wild mess beneath him. What in the world? "Ethan," I begin as I cross my arms over my chest and tap my feet on the floor.

Ethan remains soundly asleep without a care in the world. A frustrated sigh escapes my lips as I move forward and shove his arm. He stirs in his sleep and I continue slapping his arm lightly until his eyes pop open. Our gazes lock and I draw my head back once I realise how close we are to each other, so close that I can count the specks of green dancing in his fluorescent eyes.

Ethan sits up straighter and I clear my throat as he looks around the dorm room, a little confused. "Look what you made me do," I say as I point toward the spilled liquid on the floor.

Ethan's eyes travel to what I was pointing at and he shrugs. "I didn't make you do anything," he says, his voice gruff from lack of use.

I trudge into the bathroom and retrieve a mop, before returning back to my room and cleaning up the mess. Ethan watches me silently, and when I can't take the sound of the excruciating silence anymore, I speak up. "How did you even let yourself in?" My voice is quiet over the sound of the sloshing of the mop. I don't dare to look at him when I speak.