54: not in that way

a/n there's a double update, meaning the final chapter is chapter 55 and it is out right now! So as soon as you're done with this chapter, feel free to move on to the next one :) no more pesky waiting for updates

Make sure to vote and comments heaps, as these are the final two chapters of this book and imma miss your comments ):

54: CHAPTER FIFTY-FOUR

"YOU LOOK like a proud mother," Dylan says as he watches me admiring my brand new car.

It's not much, but it'll have to do for now. "You're just happy you don't have to drive me around anymore," I reply, laughing.

"Hey, gas is expensive, okay?"

We both share a chuckle. I touch the hood of the car, smiling softly, and look up to see that Dylan is already gazing at me. "Let's take her out for a drive."

Dylan slips into the passenger seat while I move into the drivers seat. "Okay," I mumble, putting the keys into the ignition. I just recently passed my drivers test, but I'm still on edge about driving.

"You'll be alright," Dylan says from beside me. "I'll be right beside you every step of the way."

I bob my head up and down. "Yeah, yeah. I can do this," I breathe out.

"I will haunt you if you get us killed," Dylan says, trying to lighten up the mood. This earns him an unamused look.

I switch the engine on, listening to it roar to life. "That's a start," Dylan quips. I playfully roll my eyes and begin to back out of the driveway. There's really no specific destination I'm heading to, so I let myself relax as I drive through the suburban street.

"Are you ever planning on visiting Minnesota again?" Dylan asks me a few minutes later.

I come to a gradual stop at a red light. He isn't aware of my terrible family situation. Not even when we were kids. My mother had done a great job at hiding our family's imperfections. "Um, maybe," I say quietly. I don't think I'm ever heading back there again.

I pull over to the side of the empty road, looking over at Dylan expectantly. "So, how was it? Out of ten?" I shift the subject, because I'm starting to get uncomfortable. I haven't spoken to my family in months, not that I'm planning to anytime soon. They are out of my life for good. It feels like I'm missing out on life in some aspects. And it sucks, that I can't have a sister to talk about boy problems with, but it is what it is. I'm slowly starting to accept the fact that there are things beyond my control.