16: not in that way

16: CHAPTER SIXTEEN

16: CHAPTER SIXTEEN

"DON'T you feel guilty lying to everyone?"

I look over at Ethan with scrunched up brows. We've parked in front of Makayla's average sized house and Ethan has been quiet for the entirety of the ride. "Why would I feel guilty?"

Ethan tightens his grip on the steering wheel. "I don't know, for lying to them about our relationship. They are our friends, after all."

I let out a single bark of laughter. "None of these people are my friends," I state firmly. None of them have earned themselves that title. Except Phoebe, but even then.

"Right," Ethan just says. We sit in silence for a bit in his car, with him squinting his eyes out at Makayla's house and tapping his fingers against the steering wheel while I observe him. He catches me off guard by turning his head and meeting my gaze. I immediately look behind his head at Makayla's house.

"Let's go." I peel my seatbelt away from my body and clutch my purse tight in my shaking fingers.

"Actually, I think I'm going to just head back to my apartment and come back to pick you up later," Ethan's voice stops me and I turn to look at him pleadingly.

"No!" I grab his arm in a vicelike manner. "Please don't leave me alone with those creatures."

Ethan's eyes drop to my hand encircling his bicep. He raises his brows and I sheepishly pull my hand back to my side. "One hour, and one hour only," he warns me and I nod my head rapidly.

We both leave his car and walk up the driveway to Makayla's beige house. I busy myself by looking around the plain garden and tapping my feet against the doormat. The door swings open a few moments later and Ethan brings his head up and shoots Makayla a relaxing smile. "Hey," he says in a low voice, not the same rough tone he used with me. This makes me frown.

I watch as Makayla's annoyed expression morphs into a wide smile. "Come in!" She ushers us inside and the smell of lavender fills my nostrils. I look to Ethan beside me who asks Makayla if he should take his shoes off to which she shakes her head at.

She leads us to the living room and I brace myself against the wall in anticipation. A quick whoosh of air escapes my mouth when I notice that Martin isn't among the group that consists of Taylor and Josh. Ethan places a hand on the small of my back and guides me inside, and although he does it for the show, I find myself calming down in his arms. We both take a seat on the maroon couch and I grab a brown pillow and place it on my lap.

Taylor's unnervingly watching me over the rim of her cup. Her eyes fall on Ethan's arm around the back of the couch, teetering close to my shoulders. She straightens up her spine and says, "Martin couldn't come, unfortunately. He has tennis practice."