18: not in that way

18: CHAPTER EIGHTEEN

"IT's the last day of school!"

The sound of cheering and whooping echoes throughout the hallway as I grab my textbooks for period one and shut my locker. It's barely eight in the morning and students are already celebrating the last day of term. I, for one, couldn't have been more miserable. Tonight is when I fly out to Minnesota and the very thought rattles me to the core.

Taylor and Annalise both walk past me, and while Taylor offers me a glance, Annalise doesn't even bother acknowledging my existence. Now that Ethan's out the picture, Annalise has clung on to Taylor and her crew.

Ethan hasn't came to school in a week.

I had to hear from Annalise that he's currently in Italy. Imagine the utter humiliation I felt when she told me and I wasn't even aware. Although, we did end on pretty bad terms so what really was I expecting? I haven't spoken to him since the whole incident at the coffee shop. He hasn't posted anything on his social media either, so there's no indication of where he's been the last week.

Whatever. I tried to help, but he's just stubborn like that.

He's also managed to skip out on days of rehearsal, and Miss Collins has stated that she might need to recast him if he doesn't show up next term, which is fine by me. Annalise may have gotten the role of Juliet, but by the look of utter humiliation on her face when she found out that Ethan may not be Romeo after all is enough satisfaction.

"I'm so excited to try out all the foods at lunch," Phoebe says to me as we both make our way to English class.

This earns a puzzled look from me. "The cafeteria food? It's not really that great,"
I start to say, but with a shake of the head she cuts me off.

"You are so out of the loop, you know that?" She bumps her shoulder with mine. "Since it's the last day of school, students are bringing in lunches they've made at home and sharing it in the cafeteria with everyone. It's like an open buffet. We do this at least once a year." When she catches the dubious look on my face, she continues on. "You have to come and try Makayla's famous pavlova."

"Did you cook anything?" I ask her as we both stand outside the door to our classroom. Phoebe starts to answer but I'm too busy looking past her at Josh. Will I ever get used to this feeling he gives me? As I watch him from afar, from where he's standing beside Martin, I let out a blissful sigh.

"Alli?"

The soft voice of Phoebe pulls me out of my lustful stupor and I blink as I look in her direction. "Huh?" I mumble as I tighten my grip on my books.