41: not in that way

a/n LMAO @ THE ETHAN SLANDER LAST CHAPTER

This chapter will hopefully clear all your concerns. I'm just laughing because y'all didn't hate Ethan until I told y'all he's being sketchy HAHA.

Anyways enjoy peeps :)

41: CHAPTER FORTY-ONE

"THE cell must duplicate all its material before it divides..."

I zone out and begin to doodle inappropriate drawings in my book. We've already gone through this a million times before. The girl beside me is practically dozing off. I begin to look around the room and am met with a bunch of bored faces. One particular face stands out to me, and it belongs to Phoebe. She looks miserable, to say the least. She's frowning down at her textbook, her hair falling forward to frame her face. I know she has issues with her parents—her father, in particular—but this is something entirely different.

I try to catch her attention but she doesn't look up once. As soon as the bell rings, she's the first one to leap up from her seat and walk off. I push through a crowd of students blocking the entrance and chase after her down the hallway. She's quick, that one.

"Phoebe!" I make my way to her as fast as my feet can carry me. "Can I...talk...to you?" I say in-between pants.

When I eventually get to her, Phoebe is about to open her locker. She purses her narrow lips together. "About what?"

I'm still trying to catch my breath. I really ought to work out more. "You seemed upset today in class. I know that we're not really friends anymore...but I'm worried about you. Is everything okay?"

She smiles shortly. "You're sweet, Allison. I'm alright."

I lean against the locker beside hers and nod my head awkwardly. "So are we friends again or is that wishful thinking?" I proceed to give a pained grin.

Phoebe slams her locker shut and turns to face me. Her forehead is creased and her lips are pursed. "Wishful thinking," she deadpans.

My grin disappears. "I don't get what I did wrong."

"Look, it's not that I don't want to talk to you." She looks over my shoulder towards something. "Did Ethan tell you the full story about Lila?"

"Yeah," I breathe out. "They were friends, he had feelings for her, and now they don't talk anymore."

Something flashes in Phoebe's dark eyes and she winces. "That's not all there is to it," she murmurs. I open my mouth to speak but she cuts me to the chase. "I can't pretend to be friends with you while being friends with him at the same time."