13: not in that way

13: CHAPTER THIRTEEN

I WOKE up to the sound of items being thrown around and screaming.

Immediately, I toss the covers off me and jump out of bed to see what the commotion is. I rub the sleep out of my eyes and throw a cursory glance at the clock hung on my wall.

6:02am.

School doesn't start for at least another 2 hours; so what on earth is going on out there?

I poke my head out of the door and narrow my eyes in the glaring light of the hallways. My mouth opens in shock when I spot a familiar face throwing items around her dorm room. "Lila?" I call out hesitantly as I wrap my arms around myself. Now I know where I've seen her before. She resides right across from me in the hall.

Lila's head snaps upward and her teary eyes fall on my slouched figure. She's crouched down on the floor beside pieces of broken glass, and when she notices me looking around in astonishment, she reaches for something and hides it out of my view. "Why are you up at this time?" she wonders. Her voice sounds broken up.

"I could ask you the same thing," I counter, my voice thick with disuse. We both stare at each other for a moment, with her mostly frowning at me while I peek around aimlessly inside her dorm room. I wasn't aware she lives on campus.

"Go back to bed, Allison," she murmurs, finally taking her eyes off me. The edges of her mouth turn downward and her eyes are bloodshot.

Sorry for caring. I bite back whatever acerbic comment that wants to escape my mouth and simply hand her a sharp nod. She isn't even looking in my direction anymore; she's just staring dejectedly down at the broken pieces of glass on the floor.

I don't offer to help her. It's clear she's in an unstable mindset right now. Instead, I offer her one final glimpse before returning back to my dorm room.

I don't go back to sleep after that. I don't think I can bring myself to. Rather, I find myself trying to finish off my Journalism presentation that I'm going to be doing today. My thoughts are going haywire and I don't even realise that I have an assignment ahead of me that I actually have to present to the class until later on.

A few hours later, I determine to find Ethan and inform him about the dance. Yesterday I was so wrapped up with my father and Sabrina that it completely slipped my mind. So after shrugging on my uniform and throwing my bag over my shoulder, I race towards the school basketball courts where I think Ethan may be. But to my utter shock, he isn't there. He's almost always playing basketball in the mornings, so where could he be?