09: not in that way

a/n this chapter is decided to @jessicamonterobz for being so supportive! xmake sure to comment a lot guys!

make sure to comment a lot guys!

9: CHAPTER NINE

THE SOUND of laughter drifted up from the benches behind me, making me feel lonelier than usual.

I contemplate shooting Ethan a message but back down at the last minute. The last thing I need to admit to him is that I quite enjoy his company; as if his ego needs anymore inflating. Especially now that he's the talk of the school, even though the fight between him and Martin was over a week ago. After his little stunt that week, students have been steering clear from him at all costs.

I squint my eyes from the harsh sunlight as I look up from the book positioned in my lap. Adrian is making his way toward me with a burger in his hand. He meets my gaze with a knowing smile and drops his figure down beside me, stretching out his long legs. "Hey stranger," he greets, bumping his shoulder with mine.

My lips twitch upward. I realise I haven't spoken to him in quite a while as I've been wrapped up in my own problems. "What's up?" I ask him.

He shakes his head and tuts, pointing a finger at me. "No, no, what's up with you? Whenever you go, drama follows you," he counters back with a raised brow.

I avoid his gaze tentatively. "I don't know what you mean," I try to evade his question.

Adrian just throws his head back with a melodramatic sigh. "For starters, you and Ethan being a thing is weird. Also really random, might I add. How did it even happen? I mean you've barely been at this school for a month," he answers quite rapidly as he lists on his fingers.

Of course he's noticed. Who hasn't? Why did I think this entire thing was a good idea? Well, it's too late now. I certainly can't back up, not when Ethan has stirred up quite the commotion.

"Um..." I fiddle with the ends of my skirt. "It just...happened, I guess. I have feelings for him and he has feelings for me. Then it led to a relationship. Nothing more, nothing less."

Adrian's expression is thoughtful as he squints at me. "I just didn't expect it, is all. I mean, don't get me wrong, you guys have chemistry and you look good together but it all just feels a little sudden," he explains.

I decline the impulse to sigh. Chemistry. Right. We can't even be in the same room without arguing but apparently we look good together.

Adrian takes my silence as his cue to continue talking. "So, there's a party tonight. You should come," he advises as his brown eyes search my face quizzically.