08: not in that way

08: CHAPTER EIGHT

08: CHAPTER EIGHT

I DIDN'T end up going.

Unfortunately, I had acquired some case of the stomach flu which left me trapped helplessly in bed for the remainder of the weekend.

Truth be told, I was actually looking forward to heading to the school carnival to see Josh, but in the state that I was in, it was an almost impossible task for me to leave the room. It had taken me a generous amount of energy to call the office and let them know that I was going to be missing out on the said event. They urged me to hand them a medical certificate once I was ready to come back to school or else they would charge me with a week detention.

Harsh, I know.

It's a warm Sunday afternoon, and the soft melody of New Person, Same Old Mistakes by Tame Impala is sounding across my room. I'm in the midst of completing my Chemistry homework when somebody knocked on the door.

I pause my music. Who would be visiting me at this ungodly hour? As far as I'm concerned, not many students live on campus other than scholarship kids.

Maybe it's Ethan. If it is, then I figure he can offer me some assistance with my Chemistry homework. He doesn't do much work in class but it seems like he knows what he's doing judging by his impressive test results.

I spring up from the bed and head to the door. I'm surprised to say the least, when Phoebe smiles at me from the other end of the door. "Hey, I heard you were sick and I came to check on you," she justifies with a bashful smile. She holds up a bowl of soup which earns a short-lived smile from me.

Nobody had bothered to check up on me or ask about me, so I'm quite thankful that at least someone had cared enough to. So I nod my head gratefully at her and step aside to create room for her. "Come in." We both head inside and seat ourselves on the pale sofa.

"Thank you for this," I say after I took a few sips of the chicken noodle soup.

Phoebe just nods her head at me and looks around the room. Her brown eyes fall on the textbooks scattered on my bed. "You do Chemistry and Biology? You must be really smart," she thinks aloud.

"Isn't everyone smart at this school?" I quirk an eyebrow. "Besides, I'm kind of struggling in Chemistry at the moment but hopefully I can pick myself up later towards the end of term."

She bites her lip and shifts in her seat to face me. "So, how do you think of this school so far?"

I almost scoff at this. I tuck back my acerbic wit and instead just shake my head. "It...hasn't been easy, not gonna lie," I begin, looking down at my feet. I'm not sure if I should mention the whole Taylor ordeal to her; even though Phoebe and her don't talk much, they still hang out with each other so I decide to play it safe.