06: not in that way

06: CHAPTER SIX

06: CHAPTER SIX

I ENTERED the house as silent as possible, holding a breath. The house was eerily silent. Now what I was expecting.

My eyes scanned my surroundings. The house was oddly empty. I clutched the strap of my school bag tightly as I tiptoed into the kitchen. My heart plummeted to my stomach and I could feel myself go weak at the legs when I spotted my father sitting at the dinner table, awaiting me. In front of him was an empty glass. No doubt he was drinking.

His blue eyes, identical to mine, narrowed at the sight of me hunched near the doorframe. He wiped his mouth, and then, "where have you been?"

I swallowed the lump forming in my throat. "I–I was at school," I stated with a quivering voice.

My father stood up from his seat and began to walk in my direction. His empty glass was clutched in his hand. "Where were you?" he repeated, this time with a little more force.

"At school," I reiterated, trying to not betray how shaken I was. How did he find out? I made sure to cover my tracks.

"Allison, don't lie to me!" he roared. I could smell the liquor off his breath.

I hung my head down low, gnawing on my lips. "I was out with my friend," I decided to confess, my voice coming out in a mumble.

Silence.

The silence was so excruciatingly painfully that I considered slowly leaving the room, but I know better.

My father just nodded at me grimly. He eyed me for a few moments, before turning around and walking back to his spot. I released a slow breath. That's it?

I watched anxiously as he poured himself another cup. "Next time just tell me," he said in a gruff voice.

I stood still in my spot, too afraid to speak or move. He's never usually this calm, which could only mean one thing...

"Now why don't you be a darling and fix me some lunch," he murmured.

To this day, I still don't know what came over me. "Get it yourself!" I snapped. My heart was beating erratically and I could barely hear myself over the sound of the pounding in my ears.

My chest heaved up and down as I looked to my father, whose eyes are wide. "What did you just say?" When he spoke, his voice was livid. I never show resistance to my father, but the one time I do...