7. Dinner with Stiles and his dad

"Kids, dinnertime."  Stiles' dad said from the other said of the door. Stiles and I started to walk towards the door.
"Are you staying over for dinner?"
"Yeah, do you mind?"
"No, no, not at all. I'm just not sure if my dad's going to approve."
"Uhm, actually, he's the one who invited me." I started to blush and looked at the ground, trying to hide it from Stiles
"Really? He invited you over for dinner? He never invited Scott."
"Yeah, he said something about having other types of conversations."
"Oh, yeah. He always complains I should talk about something more interesting than lacrosse." We went downstairs and we sat down at the table.
"I never thought I would see a girl sit there." Stiles said looking at me and the place I sat with tears brimming in his eyes
"How do you mean?"
"My mom used to sit there." I could see the hurt in his eyes
"Oh, I'm sorry. I didn't know. I'll switch seats." I said and I was already standing when Stiles grabbed my arm.
"No, stay. It feels good having you sit there. I wouldn't want anyone else to sit there, but you." He said and I saw a twinkle in his eyes I didn't recognized. I sat back down.
"I feel honored, Stiles." I smiled and he returned it, weakly, but he returned it. Not long after that his dad came in while holding a pot.
"Stiles, would you mind to help?"
"I'll help."
"No, no, you're the guest. You shouldn't --" he looked at me and noticed the same thing Stiles did and I could see the same tears brimming behind his eyes.
"I insist." I said and I stood up and walked into the kitchen when I overheard a conversation between Stiles and his dad
"I know, dad, I know, but I like having someone sit on her place. I like having Cass sitting on her place."
"I know. That's why I set the extra plate there."
"What do you mean 'I know'?"
"You fell asleep on the couch. Did you know you talk in your sleep?"
"No, Do I?" I grabbed a pot and started walking back to the dining room
"Yeah, you--" I broke of the talk when I walked in, which I knew would happen. I set the pot on the table
"Thank you, Cassandra."
"You're welcome. I hope you don't mind, but I took a look inside the pot."
"Hope you like Spaghetti."
"Like? No, I love spaghetti." I smiled and I could see I lightened the mood. I looked over to Stiles to see the same twinkle in his eyes, I wonder what it is, but shrug it of. We all sit down and eat and Stiles' dad was the first one to speak
"So, Cassandra. What was that important thing Stiles had to tell you?" Crap, I don't know what to say!
"Uhm, nothing. He said it was important, but he was just bored and Scott couldn't come."
"Hey! I'm sitting right here you know." Stiles was was giving me a playful glare
"Really? Oh, sorry, didn't see you there." I smirked. We looked at each other like that for a few seconds and we both broke down laughing.
"Are you going home after diner, or are you staying for a while longer?" His dad started the conversation again after we all stopped laughing
"Uhm, ..." I looked at Stiles asking for help, my mind just didn't come up with lies and we needed one so I could stay longer, helping Stiles
"No, she promised she would help me with my homework, in the contrary to me and Scott, she's smart." I smiled at the compliment.
"Ok, I should invite you over for diner more often if you'll help Stiles every time I do. You want to come over tomorrow again? I'm sorry maybe I'm pushing it."
"Yeah, dad, I think you're pushing it." I looked at Stiles and he was looking mad at his dad and ... Was he blushing?
"No, you're not pushing it, Mr. Stilinski. I'd love to have dinner again, but tomorrow's a party and a friend asked me if I would join her." In the corner of m eye I saw Stiles trying to figure out who I was talking about.
"Oh, no, no. If you have other plans I insist that you go to that party."
"But I would love to have dinner again with you two."
"Better than sitting alone, right?" I looked at Stiles with hurt in my eyes. Did he think I just said yes cause otherwise I would be alone? The thoughts of my family rushed itself back inside my head.
"I- I'm s- sorry. I think I need to go to the toilet." I said and I walked away and locked myself on the toilet and started crying. And I overheard one of their conversations again.
"Stiles! Why did you say that?!"
"I don't know. I- I don't know. I'm such an idiot."
"Making a girl you like cry, isn't good, Stiles. So it's definitely not a good choice to talk about Cassandra's family."
"I know." I started hearing sobs that weren't mine, was he crying?
"I really hope she forgives you, Stiles. She's a nice girl."
"I know. The best there is."
"So. What are you waiting for? Go say you're sorry."
"What?"
"You heard me. Go to her." The sobs started the fade away and not long after that I heard someone coming closer. And I heard a knock on the door.
"Cass? Cassandra? I know you're in there. Please say something. I'm sorry. I shouldn't have said anything about your family. Please come out." I whipped the tears of my cheek and unlocked the door, looking at the floor.
"I'm sorry. Would you forgive me?" I looked up to Stiles and I could see his tearstained cheeks and his eyes were still a tiny bit red and puffy just enough to say something about it without him knowing I eavesdropped.
"Have you cried?" His cheeks were turning red and now he was the one looking at the floor.
"Yeah, I hoped you wouldn't notice."
"Why?"
" Because I made you cry. I made my ... Best friend cry." He had trouble saying best friend, did he think I wouldn't want to be his best friend anymore?
"You're still my ... Friend, right? You forgive me?"
"Yes, I forgive you. Best friends again?" I had to make sure he wouldn't have second thoughts about me being his best friend
"Yeah, best friends." He was happy, but wasn't at the same time. I hugged him and he tensed up, but hugged me back after a while.

Stiles' P.O.V.
"Have you cried?" I blushed and looked at the floor, she noticed.
"Yeah, I hoped you wouldn't notice." But she notices everything, even the smallest thing.
"Why?" Why? Well why did I? The words came without hesitation 
"Because I made you cry." I couldn't stand her crying
"I made my ... Best friend cry." I stumbled over my words. I liked her since the first moment she smiled at me. It took a while for her to trust us, but she did and she friendzoned me. Hard. I knew what I was to her: her best friend. I always acted like I'm still into Lydia, I am, but that's just a unrealistic child's crush. With Cass it's different, but she won't notice I like her. Every time she would think another reason behind my behavior, but there is none, I like her. A lot. And since I saw her sit on my mom's place, I know I didn't just like her. I'm falling in love with her, if I haven't got the the end of the falling. Actually, I think I love her and I'm going to ask her out.
"You're still my ... Friend, right? You forgive me?" Again the Fr-word made me stumble over my words again
"Yes, I forgive you. Best friends again?" And again the Fr-word. I was screaming in my head at myself for being so stupid to think a beautiful girl like her would ever see more in my than a friend. Her best friend.
"Yeah, best friends." I fake smiled at her and she gave me a hug, I tense, but hugged her back. Every moment I have with her counts and I'm going to make the best of it.