39. Talk about Originals

We went back to the hospital. Derek's a problem to deal with later. Now we need to check on Lydia. We got to the hospital, where Damon was standing outside. He pulled me aside to talk with me.
"Go on. You go check on Lydia." Scott and Stiles nod and they walk inside.
"You didn't feel so well?"
"Yeah, about that..."
"Why would you lie?"
"Like I told you before--"
"You don't trust me. I get it, but you're not the type of girl to lie."
"That's what you think."
"So you are the girl that lies?"
"I lie when I have to. Not everyone needs to know everything about me."
"So you lie?"
"More like 'not telling'."
"To be honest, I didn't expect that from you, Cassandra."
"I know. Most people don't. I can be very persuasive." There was a silence
"Still want my help?"
"Yes."
"Why do you need my help?"
"Cause you don't know everything that's been happening in Mystic Falls lately."
"What kinds of stuff?"
"A lot of stuff."
"An example..."
"Klaus is in town. And all the others are back."
"All the others?"
"Yeah. The whole Original family is in town. Even mommy."
"What?!" I was shocked. All my life I was convinced mother was dead. Nick killed her for the spell she put on him.
"Yeah, repentantly some friend of her saved her body and all kinds of other witchy stuff."
"So the mother is back, but what about the father? I mean, no children without a man and a woman." I was trying to acted like it was no big deal, like I didn't know my father turned out to be the most feared vampire hunter.
"Klaus killed him."
"That's impossible. He should be an Original, just like the rest of the family. It's impossible to kill an Original without a White Oak stake."
"I know."
"So he's just daggered?"
"No. He's dead. Gone."
"But, that means..."
"Yup. A stake."
"That's impossible. The legend say they burned it."
"Legends say all kinds of stuff."
"You're right. So The father is dead?"
"Yes. Why so interested? Afraid you're from his bloodline?"
"What?!" Does he know? Is that why he's asking all of this?
"Oh, you din't know? Oh, if you kill an Original his entire bloodline dies."
"His bloodline?"
"All the vampires he turned."
"And all the Originals are in Mystic Falls?"
"Yes. Not such a great time. And Esther is planning something. We're still trying to figure it out, but we're getting close."
"And you need my help with something to help figure that out?"
"Yeah."
"Maybe they'll recognize you." What?! Why would they recognize me?!
"Why would they recognize me?" I'm trying to keep up my poker face. And I hope he's not smart enough to listen to my heartbeat.
"You're from around that time. One of them had to turn you." Yeah, what about Esther
"So all you need to know who turned me?"
"Kinda, but I need you to talk to them. Try to find out what they know."
"I don't know who turned me. Someone pushed an arm around my head into my mouth and forced me to drink. When I turned around I couldn't see anyone. The next morning I was followed by someone, but when I turned around I had a blackout and I woke up laying on the floor."
"You don't have a clue who turned you?"
"No, sorry, But I can't help you, Damon."
"It's OK. Maybe the one who turned you remembers you."
" I don't know Damon. I mean look around. How many vampires are there? In all those years, I can almost bet they won't remember me. I can't remember them."
"Maybe that's the problem. Originals can compel another vampire, maybe the one who turned you, compelled you to forget."
"Maybe. But I can't help you, Damon. Maybe it get's time for you to leave again."
"No. That was one idea I had, I've got others, but then I need you to trust me."
"Just, don't walk in my way."
"Sure. If you need my help, I'm here."
"I'll be fine. You just--"
"I what?"
"Just don't get bitten. Like you said... Niklaus is way too far away to help." Shit. I need to learn to call Nick KLaus. Otherwise Damon'll notice.
"I won't. As long as you make sure you keep your dogs on a leach."
"Hey! Don't call them that!"
"Sorry."
"How did you get them to trust you?"
"I knew them before they got turned."
"Didn't they smell vampire on you?"
"No. I met a witch. She spoke a spell which masks my scent. They won't smell it on me." I say emphasizing the 'me'
"So it's not like they don't smell it?"
"No. It's just me. They'll smell it on you. So watch out. I don't know every single werewolf around here. And something's telling me there are coming more."
"Well, that's gonna be fun."
"Go home, Damon. You look like you could use some sleep."
"What are you gonna do?"
"I'm gonna look out for my friends. They need me."
"Yeah, cause they could kill you with one bite..."
"I know. But I can take care of myself."
"Yeah, I saw that before."
"What do you mean?"
"You need to get used to the smell and the sight of blood, Cassandra. You'll get in serious trouble if you don't."
"I know. I'm working on it." Damon and I say our goodbyes and we all went home. I waited outside for Scott and Stiles.
"She isn't healing." Scott says when he walks outside and we start waling. Stiles doesn't say a thing. I get it, I mean, he loved her since 3 grade.
"What? I thought the doctors said she was gonna be fine?"
"Yeah, which means..."
"She isn't a werewolf." I say when realization hits me, but...
"But, what is she? I never heard of being bit, and not turning or dying."
"I don't know. I was hoping you did."