48. What the hell is a kanima?

"Cass, Cass, wake up." I open my eyes and see Scott and Stiles standing over me.

"How long was I out?"

"Not that long, but you scared us."

"Why would that scare you? She had to hold up two persons in the water." Derek walked closer with Erica following close after him

"Did you find out what that thing is?"

"No the bestiary is in some foreign language."

"It's called a kanima." Derek says like it's obvious. Why didn't he tell us sooner.

"You knew the whole time?!" I yell, I don't even know why I'm so mad about this.

"No, only when it was confused by it's own reflection." Oh, ... Wait, this means...

"It doesn't know what it is." 

"Or who." Derek applies

"What else do you know?" Stiles asks from behind me

"Only stories, rumors."

"But it's like us?" I turn toward Scott

"It's a shapeshifter, yes, but -uh- it's not right. It's like a--"

"Abomination." I say and turn back to Derek who looks a t me and nods. He looks down and he and Erica start to walk away.

"Derek!" Scott yells and they turn back around.

"We need to work together on this. Maybe even tell the Argents." He shouldn't have said that, they won't help, I know.

"You trust them. " Derek definitely doesn't like the idea. 

"Nobody trusts anyone! That's the problem. While we're here,  arguing about who's on what side, there's something scarier, stronger and faster than any of us and it's killing people! And we don't know a single thing about it!" I saw Derek thinking about it for a second, but that soon was replaced by something else: determination.

"I know one thing/ When I find it, I kill it." Derek walks away with Erica following his lead, leaving the three of us standing there.

"I need to pick up my mom from work."

"Say hi to her from me."

"I will, Cass." I smile and we all went our separate ways. I went home and washed the chlorine out of my hair and changed into my pajamas. I crawled under my warm blankets and fell asleep.

Biep biep bie- I throw my stupid alarm from my nightstand and watch it slam into pieces.

"Shit." I whisper and I step out of bed. I walk over to the pieces laying on the floor and throw them in the garbage. Guess I need a new alarm. I put some clothes on and did my hair and make-up. I stepped in my car and drove to school. I sat in class with Scott.

"Where's Stiles?" Scott shrugged and suddenly I heard his heartbeat go up and when I turned around I saw Isaac taking a seat in front of us.

"What?!" I whispered/yelled to Scott and again he shrugged. Not so chatty today, Scott? I instinctively rolled my eyes and I stared at Isaac. Stiles ran in and sat behind us.

"I just talked to my dad, who just talked to Jackson, and I've really terrible, horrible, very very news." I turned around to Stiles

"I think we already know." I say and Scott points in front of us. I could feel Isaac smirking. Class ended and we took our stuff and walked out the classroom.

"All right, I only found one thing online called a kanima. It's a werejaguar from South America 

that goes after murderers." Stiles explains to us.

"That thing was not a jaguar." I say remembering the sight of it.

"Yeah, and I'm not exactly a murderer."

"Yeah, but you did see it kill somebody, which is probably why it tried to kill you. And it's still 

trying to kill you, and it probably won't stop until you're dead." Scott say and Stiles stopped walking for a sec

"You know, sometimes I really begin to question this 'friendship'." He said walking faster again, trying to catch in on us. We walked to our next class and sat down. Stiles and scott next to each other and me behind Stiles, leaving an empty place next to me. I was going through my book and saw Jackson sitting next to me.

"Hey, testicle left and right. And Cassandra. What the hell is a kanima?" What?! We all turned to Jackson, shocked. How the hell does he know?! Right before we could ask Coach started talking.

"All right, listen up. A quick warning before we begin our review. Some of you, like McCall, might want to start their own study groups, because tomorrow's midterm is so profoundly difficult– I'm not even too sure I could pass it. Okay, I need a volunteer at the board to answer the first question. Who's got it, huh? Come on, let's go, buddy" We all turned back to Jackson

"Derek tested me. I dropped something of a mirror into my mouth. I was completely paralyzed."Jackson starts his talk

"What?"

"Paralyzed from the neck down. Do you have any idea what that feels like?" 

"I'm familiar with the sensation" Stiles says with a sight

"Wait– why would Derek test you? Why would he think that it's you?" I ask, I mean, he has to have an idea right?

"How should I know?"

"Wait, do they think it's Lydia?"

"I don't know, all I heard was her name and something about chemistry." I heard someone walking towards us. I looked up and saw the coach.

"Jackson! Do you have something to share with the rest of the class?"

"Um– just an undying admiration for my– my coach." Wow, nice save. Noticed the sarcasm?

"That's really kind of you. Now shut up! Shut it! Anybody else?"  The coach walked back to the front of the class. Scott grabbed Stiles on his sleeve and almost pulled him of his chair.

"How do we know it's not her?"

"Because I looked into the eyes of that thing, okay? And what I saw was pure evil. And when I look into Lydia's eyes, I only see 50% evil. All right, maybe 60. You know, but no more than 40 on a good day." I rolled my eyes, seriously?

"Stiles, that's not a very good argument." I say, I actually feel sorry for him, I mean first she starts freaking out without a reason and now she's being accused of being the kanima.

" I'm aware of that, but I swear it's not her. It can't be, all right? Lydia's fine." He says, looking behind him into my eyes. Lydia walked to the blackboard and wrote something down. What? I stared at the symbols.

"Okay then, anybody else want to try answering? This time in English?"

"What is that, Greek?" Scott asks

"No, actually, I think it is English." I pull out my phone and take a picture of it. I show it to them and push the reflect button.

SomeoneHelpMe