One

{edited}

May POV {Present Time}

My hands grip the sides of the sink as I think.

How did we even end up to the place we are now?

How did we even become who we are now?

I pull out my phone that's in my jean pocket and feel tears pick my eyes.

May POV {junior year of high school}

May 15th.

That's the date.

Today is also my birthday.

But that's not what I'm thinking about. I'm not thinking about how today I'm officially an adult. I'm thinking about Harry, and if he will actually show up as he promised.

He said he'll be in town for the weekend.

He promised.

I haven't seen him since he left in March. Each day that he hasn't been home I feel even more lost. But he said he would be home. That was the only thing I was looking forward to. Just being in his arms is all I want.

All I want is him.

I head downstairs and walk into the kitchen lazily. Sadie is in the kitchen and she's the first to see me. Ellie who is home for the week smiles.

"Happy birthday!" Ellie says. She hugs me. "You're officially 18."

"Yep." I mutter.

"What's wrong?" Sadie asks. Her eyebrows furrow.

"Have you heard from Harry?" I ask her.

"No, why?"

"He said he was coming down today." I mutter.

"He'll show up, May." Ellie assures me. Sadie as well.

He hasn't been keeping his promises.

He doesn't text me everyday.

He doesn't text me everyday during lunch so I'm not alone.

He doesn't call me every other night.

He hardly talks to me.

I understand that he's busy. I do. And I don't expect him to text me everyday. But sometimes Harry doesn't text me for days and then just says 'i'm sorry, i was busy'.

This was the only thing I was looking forward too. Just being with him. Even if it's only for the weekend. Not to mention tomorrow is the John Mayer concert that we're supposed to be going to.

"Sadie and I are going to pick up breakfast for your birthday." Ellie says while grabbing her purse. They both smile warmly at me then leave the house.

Silence fills my ears.

I just sit on the steps and look at my phone.

I got a text from Adam saying Happy Birthday. Then Ronnie and Evan texted me the same thing. So did my so called parents that are out of town.

I got no text from Harry though.

The doorbell rings and sigh. Sadie probably came back and is saying she forgot her phone that is on the table.

I open the front door.

"Sadie it's-" I cut myself off.

It's not Sadie.

It's Harry.

"Happy Birthday." He says with a soft smile.

"You came?" I manage to say.