Forty

{edited}

May POV {16 years ago}

My dad bought me a new blanket and two new pillows. The blanket has poky dots on it that have different colours. I was overly happy to get it because nothing in my room has color.

He also bought me a barbie doll. I keep it under my bed so my mother doesn't see it.

Currently I'm on my room playing with it. I'm trying to do something with her hair, but I don't know what.

I'm just happy that my Mom hasn't come into my room to see my blanket or doll.

Until now.

I freeze and look to the woman in my doorway. Her eyebrows furrow at the things on my bed. "Where did you get the doll from?"

"D-dad bought it for me," She snatches it out of my hand and my eyes sting. "Please Mom. Can I just have it?"

"Pretty girls get the pretty dolls May," She says causing me to look at my hands.

"Why can't I be pretty?" I ask. My eyes sting with tears.

"Because you just can't." I feel tears hit my hands. "New pillows and blankets too I see. Who said you can have them?"

"D-dad." She sighs.

"Give me your blanket."

"Mom-"

"May, now." Tears start to pour more out of my eyes.

"But its winter and I'm cold. You took the couch one away from me last week." I sniffle. She walks over to me and squeezes my wrist. The pain of it makes me cry harder. Her own eyes look red making me wonder.

"Hey May, I got you-" I hear my fathers voice say while walking into my room. His voice stops. "What the hell are you doing?" He asks while looking to his wife.

She stumbles away and he steps in front of me. "Why the hell are you buying her things?"

"Why does her room have to look like a prison cell?" My Dad asks.

"Why do you care?" Her eyes look like fire could be in the pupils.

"Because she's my daughter."

"Is she?" My fathers fists clench.

"Give her the doll back and leave her room."

"Fine." She breaks her head off and tosses if at me. I just cry harder. The door slams shut and my Dad pulls me into his arms.

"It's okay, I'll get you a new one," He kisses the side of my head.

"She said only pretty girls get the pretty dolls though," I hiccup. "S-she said that I can't get those dolls."

"Well, we must get you prettier dolls because you're beautiful." I smile gently. "Don't listen to her, okay?"

"Why does she hate me?" I ask.

"I don't know." His hand strokes my hair down.

***

"Daddy why can't you buy us the amount of stuff you do May?" Sadie asks as we sit at the dinner table. My mothers eyes burn on me. "It's not fair."

"May doesn't have any dolls Sadie." My father replies. She just huffs and leans back in her chair.

"May would you like some peas?" My mother asks. My eyebrows furrow.

"S-sure." She slides the dish over to me harshly and it spills over the table.

I look down at my lap. My eyes sting. "Julie-"

"What?" Her voice sharp. Ellie helps me pick up the peas that are across the table. "It slipped."

"Anything else you want?" My Mom asks me. Her voice sounds tense. "Cause you seem to be asking for a lot."

"I-I'm s-sorry." I say. My fingers fidget on my lap.

My father stands.

"May lets take a ride, yes?" I nod. He picks me up and we leave the house. My head goes on the crook of his neck and I hold onto him.

He buckles me into my seat and my feet dangle. "Is that tight enough angel?" I nod.

He starts to drive. "Wanna get fries and a milk shake?"

"Really?" I ask with excitement.

"Yeah. What kind of shake do you want sweetie?"

"Vanilla, please." He orders it for us and he parks in the parking lot and sits next to me in the back.

"Thank you." I say with a warm smile.

"Of course. So what you have to do is dip your fry in your shake. Try it." I do and put in my mouth. "Good right?" I nod with a smile.

May POV {Present}

I sit up in bed and look at the clock. It's three in the morning and I can't sleep.

Harry's arm is draped around me and I kiss his cheek and slide out of bed to go to the bathroom.

When I come back, the baby starts to move around. I sit at the corner of the bed and take a deep breath. I put my hand on my bump and speak quietly.

"I hope you know I love you already. And you'll get to wear all the cute dresses and footie pyjamas. And when you're older you'll get to have all the toys you want." She stops kicking. "You won't be raised like me, and I promise you that." My eyes sting with tears. I wipe some that leave my eyes and let out a dee breath. "You'll be raised like Daddy. He had all the love." I smile at my words.

A://N

I pre wrote some chapters for the next couple days bc I have family coming down lol

Comment goal: 40??

Secret has 180k omfg ty

~lauren