F O R T Y

"So, homecoming?" Ethan has a smirk on his face and I cover my face to hide my blush.

"I can't believe you did that in front of everyone!" I say as I use the chopsticks to pick up a piece of sushi.

"I told you shit was going to change, and I don't care what people say about us, it was never any of their business anyways." he continues to eat and suddenly we go quiet.

"Eth-"

"Malia, you're mine."

I raise a brow. "Who said I was yours?"

"Check your ass or I'll check it for you babygirl." he winks and my cheeks go red.

We finish our food and we get up to go pay in the front, but we're both arguing over who's going to pay.

"I'm paying Malia."

"No, I'm paying Ethan." A giggle escapes from my lips as I take out my card.

The minute I take it out, Ethan quickly swipes the card and looks at me with a smirk.

"You jackass."

-----

"Ethan, can you take me to my other house? There's still things I need over there." he keeps his eye on the road and nods without even turning to look at me.

I see my dad's car in the drive way and I know when he sees me with Ethan, he's going to freak out.

We walk up to the front and I see that the front door is left open. "Wait, what the fuck? Why is the door open?" I quickly open up the door and I find a mess everywhere.

There's bottles sprawled out on the floor and empty cigarette packs on the table with half finished cigarettes.

I turn to the kitchen and I find bags of food from restaurants on the dining table and dirty dishes and cups in the sink.

I slowly walk up the stairs, careful not to make any noise.

When I'm finally at the top, I walk towards my dad's room and I don't see him anywhere.

He isn't here.

"Dad?" I yell out.

No response.

I walk into the room, turning on the lights.

Everything from his room is gone. It's a mess but everything is gone.

I come out from his room and I walk into mine.

The pack of cigarettes I left were stacked together on my nightstand.

I can still remember the way they tasted in my mouth.

The way it relieved my anger and frustration.

And I sometimes crave for one.

But I can't, not with Ethan around me anymore.

And I'm thankful for it.

I'd probably be full of empty boxes of cigarettes surrounding me, craving one 24/7.

"Malia!" Ethan runs up the stairs and I quickly throw the cigarettes into the top drawer on my nightstand.

"What happened?" he walks in and shows me a stack of letters in his hands.

I take them from him and I start going through them.

They're all bills that he hasn't paid.

"Malia, I can help. I don't want you to-"

"No, I don't want you to help with something like this. This isn't your job."