F I F T Y - O N E

Ethan's POV

After coming back from our special spot, we go to Malia's grandparents house and the first thing she does is fall asleep on me.

My phone rings and I quickly answer it to avoid waking Malia.

"Hello?" my voice is in a hushed whisper.

"Ethan, where's Malia?" It's her cousin Eleanor.

"She's here asleep, why what happened?"

"We found her dad, but he's in the hospital. They found him unconscious in a motel room he was staying in and he had complications in the morning. He almost died Ethan."

I look down at Malia who was cuddled around me, pulling her closer for a sense of protection.

Malia has no one else besides her dad and her grandparents. I can't imagine having her go through the loss of her dad.

She was closest to him and even though things ended up badly, didn't mean she hated him. She loves her dad, you could practically say he was the only parent figure she had.

"How's his condition?"

"He's stable for now, but they don't think he's going to last through the day."

"Fuck. Should I bring Malia right now? I could wake her and-"

I can hear screaming and yelling in the background and I hold onto Malia tighter as I wait for Eleanor to respond.

"Eleanor? El, what's happening?"

"Somethings happening with him right now, the doctors are rushing into his room. I'll call you back!"

And just like that, she hangs up and I'm left in silence. I look up at the clock hung on the wall.

7:26 AM

Two minutes pass by and the phone rings again.

I quickly answer and press the phone to my ear.

"Eleanor, what happened?"

"He's gone Ethan. He's dead."

"W-What? How? He was healthy and-"

"He had diabetes and never took care of himself. His liver fell apart."

"But-"

"I think it's best you bring Malia right now. They're taking his body at 11."

We hang up and I turn to Malia. I lightly shake her and she wakes up. "Hey you." she smiles.

Fuck...that smile. Don't make it harder than it needs to be Malia...please.

"Malia, we need to talk."

"About what? I just woke up-"

"Malia...please."

Her brows furrow together and I sigh. She sits up and turns to me.

"What the hell is going on, I've seen that look on your face before and-"

"Your dad died a few minutes ago in the hospital Malia." she looks at me and then laughs.

"No, he's not. Where'd you get that?" she gets up and walks into the kitchen.

"Eleanor called me a few minutes ago, your dad was found unconscious in a motel he was staying in. They revived him once but they couldn't bring him back again." she stays quiet and looks down at the sink.