Chapter 9

Walking over to the wooden shelves, I put my belongings in one of them and then made my way to the middle of the dance floor. I mentally prepare myself for the routine I want to tryout with. I roll my head and shake my hands trying to get rid of the jitters that I have.

"What song?" Katie asks.

"Down by Jay Sean". I answer without hesitation. I know that song may be a little old but I really like the beat and the lyrics of it. From the distance and angle that I'm situated, I can see Katie's astounded facial expression. Almost as if she wasn't expecting me to say the song that I did. Well, I don't know what she would be expecting because there are countless of good songs out there. But she tries to hide her expression by casually saying, "Tell me when you're ready".

I take a deep breath and nod to her, letting her know that I'm ready.  Once the music starts, I let my body move with the upbeat rhythm of the song. At the right parts, I add in some tumbling and pirouettes, connecting them with moves that continue on the routine. Halfway through the song, all of my nervousness vanish and I end up forgetting that I have an audience. I start to make facial expressions that show how the song makes me feel. And before I know it, the song is ending, making me hit my ending pose.

That felt amazing! I haven't danced or tumbled since I moved here and finally being able to do so, felt relieving.

For a second there is a long silent pause. Oh no...was I that bad? Even though my breathing is already heavy because of the fact I danced all out, my heart starts beating faster from nervousness, as if that's even possible. I get out of my pose and stand up straight.

Then as quick as it came, all my nervousness slowly dissipates, when everyone on the dance team starts clapping. Willa comes up to me and gives me a bone-crushing hug. "That was amazing Elise! I didn't know you could dance like that. Let alone tumble!".

I chuckle. "Thanks Willa! I used to be a gymnast and a dancer at my old home."

Willa opens her mouth to reply but gets interrupted. "Well...who knew you'd be this good!" Katie butts in, in a not so friendly manner. How could someone say something so nice, in an unpleasant way? I actually didn't know it was possible because I've never herd it myself...until now.

I look over to Katie who's now walking towards me. "Thanks. So, am I on the team?" I say, ignoring the way she complimented me.

She contemplates for a while before saying, "Sure! Our team could use a strong dancer such as yourself. And make sure that you sell as much tickets as possible when we have our shows. We could get all the money we can get because the dance program is suffering."

"Thank you so much!" I exclaim excitedly.

This is beyond unbelievable! I had no idea that I'd be loving my new home and school this much. First I get an amazing house, then at my new school I make amazing new friends, met an amazing Nurse named Lilly who's also letting me help taking care of the animals, and I get to be on the dance team.

Things can't get any worse. Right?

*******

Right after an hour more of dance practice, I immediately drive home, wanting nothing more than to share with my parents everything that happened today. That's why I really hope my dad doesn't have the night shift today. Or my mom.

Thankfully though, my parent's cars are both in the garage when I open it. I park in the last empty space in the garage that's meant for my car and hurriedly make my way to the door. I swing it open and sprint to the living room where they are watching tv.