Chapter 40

Elise's POV

How can I possibly believe that even after everything, Daniel would ask me to prom? There's only like a couple more weeks till prom and he hasn't asked. Not that I was expecting him to. I just had a little hope that he would. But I guess that's what I get for getting my hopes up.

And speaking of prom being in a couple of weeks, I didn't even get my dress yet.

"How about this one?" Willa asks beside me.

I turn to her and wrinkle my nose in disgust. "Too flashy" I say.

Dress shopping is probably the hardest thing ever. We planned on going dress shopping when all of us had dates but since prom is literally around the corner, we couldn't afford to wait any longer. I'm not sad or anything that I don't have a date, I just don't have anything to look forward to or anyone to color coordinate with. I'll just walk in, take pictures, stay for a little bit and come out.

Apparently the theme of prom is Ever After. Cheesy, I know. Almost everyone at the senior assembly groaned when we heard the theme. Our student counsel literally had all the seniors vote for different themes, but our student counsel apparently had a theme picked out already. They always do this. I don't know why they have everyone vote when they will only do what they want. It's a waste of time...and paper!

When we decided that today we would go dress shopping, this morning we first went to a small dress store around the block from our town since it was the closest, but didn't find anything worth buying. Then we drove a little further into the next town and found a more expensive store. It being the nicest dress store, we found amazing dresses. But...none of us were willing to spend that much money on dresses- even if it is for prom. Luckily though, there was a more cheaper dress store in the same complex mall. It's the one we're currently at.

"Where's Violet" I ask when I notice she's no where in sight.

"In the fitting rooms," she starts as she continued to look in the rack, "she found a handful of dresses".

Already? I only found like two. I turn to take a look at how many dresses Willa found and it's only a little more than I did. Finding dresses that match the theme isn't as hard because anything would match with "Ever After". I just can't seem to find the right kind of style I particularly like. I know for sure that I want the color to be light and elegant but nothing seems to be the...how you say it, "right fit" for me.

On the next rack over, I find a light pink spaghetti strap dress that is long enough to reach my ankles. The dress has different layers that not necessarily flare out, but is poofy. I take it off the rack and add it to the pile in my arms.

After about what seemed like 40 dresses later, we all paid for the one we would be wearing and headed out the door. At the corner of my eye I see Willa nudge Violet in the arm and showed her, her phone. After looking at what was on the screen, both Willa and Violet had huge grins on their faces which lasted the whole walk to the car.

"Ok, what's up with you too?" I question, "you guys have been acting like that since we got out of the store" I add.

"We...uh...wanted to see the new animal they brought into the zoo today" Willa starts.

"Yeah! And today is the first day of its showing" Violet finishes.

I look at them suspiciously, but agree to go with them nonetheless. I actually do want to see the new animal they got in.

The dive there was mostly silent with the radio playing softly in the background. It was nice and peaceful. Almost to the point where I almost fell asleep in the car. Right as I was about to doze off, the car stops abruptly making me hit my head on the chair in front of me.