40

Michael was picking up Luke from work today. He decided it was the best way to get out of doing his homework.

He waits in the parking lot for Luke, texting Laura as he does. Michael looks up to see Luke stumbling out of the theatre towards the car.

Luke enters the car, and gives Michael a stupid smile.

"Are you okay?" Michael chuckles.

"I got high in the break room with some coworkers." He replies, giggling.

"How the fuck do you guys always get away with that?" Michael asks, pulling out of the parking lot.

"I have no idea. But it's fun." Luke replies, reclining his seat.

Michael just lightly laughs at his friend in the seat next to him.

"I got early decision." Luke blurts, but covers his mouth when he realizes what he said.

"Luke, that's great!" Michael exclaims, glancing over at Luke as he tries to be excited for him while focusing on driving.

"Oh my god, Jada is gonna kill me! I haven't even told her yet what if she finds out I told you?" Luke panics.

"No, it's fine! We won't tell her! But I would like to know where you'll be going next year, if that's okay."

"You're not going to believe me." Luke frowns, looking over at Michael.

"Hey, you're like, the smartest person at our school. You could get into any school." Michael chuckles, pulling up to Calum's.

A smile stretches across Luke's face, "Columbia."

"Holy fuck, Columbia? Ivy League, Columbia? Acceptance rate of like, four percent Columbia?" Michael questions.

"Well, six percent, but yeah. I'm so excited." Luke replies, closing his eyes to fall asleep.

"Congrats Luke, but we're at Calum's, don't sleep." Michel laughs, nudging Luke.

"Wait, don't tell anybody, especially Jada. Please. She think we're going to NYU together and I don't know how to tell her yet." Luke mumbles as he curls up, ignoring the fact they're at Calum's.

"You'd literally be in the same city."

"It's not the same! Just don't say anything." 

"Yeah, of course." Michael says as he opens the car door, leaving Luke in the car himself as he heads to the garage.

"Hey, Michael. Where's Luke?" Calum asks, a beer bottle in his hand.

"Sleeping in my car." Michael chuckles, sitting down next to Ashton.

"Well how's Laura, Michael?" Calum questions, smirking.

Michael hated this question. He mostly hated it because he had to lie to his best friends.

Laura is Michael's girlfriend.

But nobody besides Laura and Michael know that.

They figured they'd try it out before telling everybody, but Michael has been struggling with not telling anybody.

It's been almost a month since Laura hit him with the question of what was going on with them. It was awkward at first, but it was a good talk.

"She's great. I don't know what you want me to say." Michael replies.

"You've been hanging out a lot, you've been out on quite a few dates recently too. I was just checking to see what's going on with you guys." Calum tells him.

Michael shrugs, "Yeah we've been together a lot more lately. Not much has happened though. We're taking things pretty slowly, I guess."

Luke comes stumbling into the garage, but takes his time.

"Luke, close the door, it's snowing and it's cold!" Ashton yells.

He rolls his eyes in response, and closes the door before joining his friends.

"Do we have any plans for Christmas break? We only have a week of school left until we're on break." Luke asks.

"A lot of partying, probably." Ashton chuckles.

"Awesome." Luke lightly giggles, trying to fall asleep.

Michael wasn't paying much attention to Ashton and Calum as they talked.

He now couldn't get his mind off Laura, and their situation. He was tired of 'trying things out' with her. Michael was ready for everybody to know they're together. But he didn't know how to tell her.

__________

wow okay hi that was interesting