83

Ashton and Calum had similar plans for how they wanted to leave. Ashton was just going to leave in the middle of hanging out, without telling anybody. But Ashton couldn't leave like that. He had to tell them.

Calum on the other hand, took off without telling any of them.

The group, minus Calum and Ashton, were all at Michael's house. They were all in shock that Calum was already on the plane. They were supposed to be heading over to his house now, but he sent them a text in their group chat telling them not to show up, because he won't be there. So they all went to Michael's.

"Calum's a bitch." Chloe grumbles, the first to break their long silence.

"Hey, come on, guys!" Jada defends Calum, looking around the room at everybody looking upset.

"I mean, I get it. It sucks, but I get it." Michael mutters, a sigh passing his lips.

Laura frowns, looking up at Michael as his arms tighten around her.

Everybody was upset about not being able to see Calum, and Michael felt bad. Because all he could think about was his girlfriend leaving tomorrow. Yeah, the Calum thing sucked, but... Laura.

"Hey, are you okay?" Laura asks, looking up at Michael.

Michael nods, trying his best to not show how upset he really is. Though, he wasn't really succeeding.

"Babe, you're crying." Laura lightly giggles, reaching up and wiping under his eyes.

"No I'm not." I mumbles, looking away from her.

"What's wrong? I know you love Cal, but, I mean-"

"It's not Calum, Laur. It's you. I'm driving you to Duke tomorrow." Michael interrupts,

Laura frowns, really not wanting to talk about this right now. She looks away from Michael, and around the room at their friends. She didn't want to think about her leaving.

"I'm sorry." Michael whispers, pressing a kiss to her cheek.

"Guys! This fucking sucks!" Chloe yells.

Jada sighs, "I think we all need to calm down."

"Laura, what do you wanna do today?" Luke asks, looking over to Laura.

Laura shrugs, "I don't know. I just wanna be around you guys."

Michael smiles at his girlfriend, holding her tighter. He didn't want to be away from her for even a second today. All he wanted was to be with her.

"Well, I'm glad you're seeing us before you leave. And telling us when you're leaving. You're still leaving tomorrow, right?" Chloe asks.

Laura nods, a small laugh leaving her lips, "Yeah, I'm still leaving tomorrow."

//

All of their friends had left, and all said tearful goodbyes to Laura. Though they had only met her at the beginning of the school year, they were all so close with her. 

"Tomorrow is going to suck." Michael mumbles.

"You get to spend ten hours in a car with me, I'd consider it one of the best days of your life." Laura laughs, cuddling into her boyfriend.

"Getting to spend the entire day with you to help you start this next part of your life makes me happy, Laur. I'm happy for you. It just... I don't like thinking about how far you'll be from me." He sighs, pressing his lips to the top of her head, lingering for a few moments.

"Babe, we'll be okay." Laura says, not only trying to convince Michael, but also herself. 

"There's gonna be so many guys there that are smarter than me and better looking than me and funnier than me and-"

"Michael! Babe! I love you. I love you so much. There's nobody out there that's better than you. I promise you." Laura interrupts him, looking up to him.

He sighs, "I'm sorry. I love you too. It's just so difficult."

"I know. It's going to suck at first. We'll get used to it." She replies.

Michael didn't say anything in response, he was getting too upset. He wasn't lying when he said he was happy for her. He was so happy for her. But he couldn't help but be so upset she wouldn't be around. He was scared to lose her. He didn't want to deal with it. But it was a reality he'd have to face in less than twenty-four hours.

"I should, uh, I should probably, um, get you home." Michael stumbles through his sentence, trying to keep himself together. He moves to get out of bed, so he could drive her home.

"Michael, hold on, are you okay?" Laura asks, grabbing onto Michael so that he doesn't getting up and walk off on her.

"What? I'm fine. Why wouldn't I be?" Michael asks, forcing a smile before quickly pecking her lips.

"Oh, okay, well, you call me if you need to talk." She mumbles, looking down at the ground in defeat as she grabs her stuff. She knew he was upset, and she knew he wouldn't talk about it, because she knew he was worried about upsetting her.

"Yeah." Michael mumbles, before the two head out to the car.

They didn't talk much. Michael was too upset. Laura knew Michael was upset but she had no idea what to do about it. She was leaving and that wasn't changing. She wished that she could make things easier for them both, but this was what it was.

"I'll see you tomorrow." Laura quietly says as they pull up at her house.

Michael nods, "Yeah. Tomorrow."

Laura leans over, pressing a kiss to Michael's lips, "I love you."

Michael gives her a weak smile, "I love you too."

Laura gets out of the car, heading inside.

Michael waited in her driveway for a few minutes after she got inside. He couldn't keep his sobs in any longer. Michael just broke down. Resting his head on his arms against the steering wheel, he just kept crying.

He's in love with her. Michael couldn't love a person more. Thinking about having to let her go tomorrow was the hardest thing he'd ever have to do.

______________

this is almost over and I'm sad. but also. it's been two and a half years. why has it taken me so long to write this. if any of y'all have been here for the beginning (I doubt it at this point) idk how u did it. wow.

so there's a couple chapters left and an epilogue I'm gonna miss this.