84

Michael couldn't help but be sad today. He wasn't ready.

Laura leaving was so hard on him. He hasn't even known her a full year yet, but he loves her with all his heart.

He was sitting on her bed, in her fairly empty room, looking up at her.

"Are you ready?" She quietly asks, knowing if she spoke any louder her voice would crack, and she'd cry.

"I guess so." He whispers, biting his lip as he holds back tears.

The two went out to Michael's car, Michael sat in the driver's seat as Laura said goodbye to her mom and brother. He stared off with a blank look on his face, thinking about how he won't be able to see her so often anymore.

When Laura comes out to the car, she's trying to stop crying, for if she sobs in front of Michael, she knows he'll cry.

Michael starts the car and grips the steering wheel tightly, but seems as if he's unable to drive anywhere.

"Michael?"

"Babe, I can't. I'm so sorry." He whispers, looking down.

Michael couldn't even look at her. He was scared that if he looked at her he'd start bawling.

"I'm sorry that I'm putting you through this. It's just..."

"I know. You need to get away from your family. I understand. It's not your fault." He faintly whispers. She could barely hear him, and it broke her heart knowing how upset he is.

"I am so, so sorry, Michael. I really am." She sniffles, still not wanting to cry.

"You don't need to be sorry. I'm being ridiculous. I'm sorry. Let's go." He says, taking a deep breath.

The drive is almost ten hours, Michael's staying in Durham tonight too. Laura moves into her dorm tomorrow, he was going to help her then head home.

The two sat in silence for almost the whole first hour, music faintly playing as they drove.

Laura finally spoke up, not wanting to be like this for ten hours.

"Michael? We should spend the road trip being happy. This is our last day together before I'm in my new home, and it gets to be on a road trip. We should play songs that aren't so sad, and talk."

He nods, still watching the road, "I know. And I hope you know even though I'm acting so annoying, I'm really happy for you. I'm so fucking proud of you and I really love you."

She smiles, staring at Michael as he drives.

He doesn't notice his girlfriend staring at him. Michael was too focused on the road to notice how happy she was just to have him here with her.

Laura really truly loved him. She didn't care what anybody else said or thought. She just looked at him, completely in love.

"What are you looking at me for?" He questions, glancing over at her.

"I don't know how I'm going to live without you being a few minutes away." She whispers.

He frowns, not wanting to think about that. He'll have to drive ten hours to see her, then ten hours back. She wouldn't even have time for him, he wasn't sure how they'd make this work. He won't tell her that though, because he wants it to work.

"How about we don't think about that. Put on your music, I wanna enjoy this time with you. It's just us, we don't have anybody else to worry about." Michael says, really not wanting to discuss the near future.

Laura put on Michael's playlist of embarrassing songs, she wanted something that wouldn't make her sad.

"Of course, One Thing plays." Laura lightly chuckles, a small smile on her face, "This was playing the first time you said you love me."

He smiles, "I guess I could've picked a better time, huh?"

She shakes her head, "No, it was perfect."

//

The whole ten hour ride consisted of them singing along to each others playlists and laughing. At some points they were even able to make it through some of their memories from this year without getting too emotional.

They got to the hotel they're staying at tonight, before moving Laura in tomorrow.

"I'm so happy that you're here with me." Laura smiles, dropping her bag as she falls onto the bed.

"I can't believe we just spent ten hours in a car. I feel gross." Michael chuckles, falling next to Laura on the bed.

"I know. I'm gonna need a shower. Do you wanna order some food? I'll only be a couple minutes." Laura tells him, pressing a kiss to his cheek.

"Yeah, I'll find something." He chuckles, watching her walk into the bathroom.

Michael pulls his phone out so he can find something to order for him and Laura. But moments in, he gets a call from Chloe.

"C? What's up?" Michael answers the phone.

"I just wanted to make sure you and Laura are okay."

"Uh, yeah."

"Okay. Because I'm not." She says, before beginning to cry.

"Woah, hold on, what's going on?"

"I already miss you guys and I've been panicking so much about moving and like maybe I don't need to go to NYU maybe I can just go to Syracuse with you and I can just stay home and I won't have to be-"

"Chloe, slow down. Hey, you're okay."

"No I'm not!" She yells.

"Listen to me. You're going to NYU. I'm not letting you stay home. It's not happening. All you've ever wanted was to go away for school. You're lucky enough to have Luke and Jada in the same city as you. You're so lucky. I love you, C. I'll come visit as much as I can. You'll be back for holidays. Things will be perfectly fine."

"I- I don't know, Michael."

"I will drag you to NYU if I have to. I'm not letting you do this."

"Should I have gone to Berkeley? Did I make a mistake?" She questions, changing the topic, sort of.

"What? No, Chloe. What's going on? You're meant to be in New York and you know that."

"I don't know what's going on! I just keep freaking out!" She groans.

Michael sighs, looking up to see Laura walking out of the bathroom in pyjamas with her hair up in a towel. She weakly smiles at him, seeing him on the phone.

"Look, C, everybody is nervous about moving on. You'll be fine."

Chloe takes a deep breath, "I guess so. I don't know. I'll let you get back to Laura, I know she's probably waiting to fuck you or something."

Michael laughs, "Actually, we were going to order pizza or something and then fall asleep watching a movie, but-"

"Yeah, sure. I love you. I'll see you when you get back." Chloe says, before the two say goodbyes and end their call.

"Is Chloe okay?" Laura asks, sitting down next to Michael as she ruffles her towels to dry her hair.

"Just stressed. You know, moving and all." He replies, looking down at his phone.

She sighs, moving to Michael's lap and loosely draping her arms around his neck, "I get it. You're okay though, right?"

Michael nods, "Yeah, of course."

"Did you order food?"

"No, Chloe called."

"Well, you said pizza so, I want pizza. Can we get pizza?" Laura asks, a small giggle leaving her lips.

"Of course, Laur." Michael chuckles, "I'll order now. We can curl up, eat pizza and watch any movie you'd like."

"Even Dirty Dancing?"

Michael laughs, thinking back to when he made her watch it and it wasn't his favourite, "Yeah, even Dirty Dancing."

_____________

hiiii!!! not much left I'm gonna cry!!!! go read my Calum and 5sos books I'm writing rn!!!!