Chapter 2

* Calum's POV *

I woke up to the loud ringing of the alarm. I reached over and turned it off, groaning loudly. I honestly thought about skipping today. But I got up and stretched.

I threw on a shirt and walked to the bathroom. "How many times have I told you not to put on an alarm, Calum?!" My dad yelled from downstairs. I bit my lip and held back the urge to make a snarky comeback.

"Sorry! I forgot!" I yelled back. I didn't want to deal with him today. Everyday it's the same thing. I tried to hurry up so I could leave as soon as possible. I did my normal morning routine. Brushed my teeth and took a shower.

First day of school, let's wear something nice. I opened my closet and looked at my choices. I picked out a peach colored shirt and some khaki shorts. It wasn't fancy but I made it look expensive. I went back to the bathroom and fixed my light brown hair. I decided to put a hat on over it instead. I stared back into my reflection, staring back into my green eyes. Someday, I'll leave this hellhole.

I put on some random shoes and grabbed my keys and phone and walked out. I went down the stairs, trying to hurry so I wouldn't have to see him. I turned the corner and he stood in the kitchen, digging through the fridge. Shit! What now?

I decided to try and sneak past him, to the door. I took one step and the floor creaked. He turned and looked at me. "It's you." He said, scowling at me. I stood straight and kept walking. "Yeah, ignore me like the pussy you are!" He shouted at me. My fingernails dug into my palm. "Walk out just like your mother and dumbass brother!" He shouted again. If it's about me, I can try and keep my cool. But if it's about my brother, I will not tolerate it.

I turned to him, giving him the dirtiest look I could. "Maybe if you weren't a deadbeat piece of shit, they'd actually still be here! The only reason I'm here is because your dead wife asked me to!" I yelled back, spitting at him. I slammed the door and hopped in the car. I started it up and drove off.

I turned up the music to drown my thoughts. I parked in my parking spot and turned the car off. I sat there for a few minutes. I laid my head down on the steering wheel, closing my eyes. Don't you dare cry.

I heard someone pull up beside me and I looked over. A black Honda parked beside me. I couldn't see who it was but the car was nice. A few minutes later a guy popped out. He had curly black hair and blue eyes. He had thin black glasses on too. His ice blue eyes darted around, perplexed. Wow! He's hot. I thought.

I've never seen him here before. I considered helping him but I didn't get out. He closed the door and walked off. He looked so petite and delicate. Definitely not my type. But something drew me in. I got out of the car and followed silently behind him. He stopped at the front desk, talking with Ms. Gideon. I didn't want to stop right there in the hallway so I walked off, looking over my shoulder.

A fist punched me in my chest and I snapped back into reality. I looked over and Nick was standing in front of me, smiling. "What's up, Calum? Feels like I haven't seen you in forever."

I gave him a slight nod and looked back. He was gone. "Likewise." I said.

"C'mon, man. Let's get to class." He said, dragging me along with him. We got to the room and I sat down, a few minutes early. I already had what I need and my things together so I didn't need to go to my locker.

"Hi, Calum." A sweet voice said beside me. I looked over and Tiffany was sitting on the desk beside me. She had a short skirt on and a tight tank top. I looked up at her and she giggled.

"Hey Tiffany, what do you want?" I said, turning back around. She hopped off of the desk and she sat down on my desk.

"I'm throwing a party this weekend. You're invited." She said, putting her hand on mine. I pulled my hand back and shoved it in my pocket.

"No thanks. I'd rather stay home." Not really but anything to get her away. I messed around with her once and now she thinks we're dating.

"Aw, don't be mean, baby! You know you do." She said, finger tracing my shirt sleeve.

"I'm not your baby, Tiffany. Now get off of my desk before you break it." I said, smiling. She frowned and hopped off.

"What a dick." She whispered and brushed me off. Thank god, she finally left. The bell rang and more people flooded in. The teacher came in and shushed us all.

"Alright, s-"

The door opened and a girl walked in. Following right behind was him. He didn't look over, he just stared at the floor. I leaned forward, intrigued. He held his binder tight to his chest, eyes still staring down. Look over here.

He wore a Marvel shirt with plain black pants and sneakers. He looked so stiff and nervous.

Finally, he looked up and scanned the room, eyes landing on mine. I gave him a small smile and he jerked his head back down. Great going. Calum. You scared him.

*******