Chapter Two

Gee

I tugged on the pink skirt. Grandma had bought this outfit a while ago for me. It was a pink blazer and skirt pair with a white blouse and lots of pearls. The skirt was a little shorter than socially acceptable for Church but Grandma didn't care too much as long as I wasn't flashing. 

I slid on the silver ring I'd grown accustomed to and watched it sparkle in the morning light for a moment before I heard the alarm go off in the next room over. I placed my wallet, bible and phone into my bag, picked up my music book and walked out of my room at the same time Grandma wheeled out of hers. 

She gave me a sleepy smile, "Georgy."

"Morning, Grandma," I replied, like always, "Why don't you go get ready for Church whilst I prepare brekkie?"

She let out a soft yawn as she nodded, "Make brekkie for four. Mitchell and Zoe are coming over to give us a lift to Church."

I pecked her forehead and then walked down the hall into the kitchen. I set the table with the normal white plates and silver cutlery before digging through the fridge. 

It's not a good life for a teen to lose her parents at thirteen and then be told her last remaining relative had eighteen months left to live at seventeen but the upside is that there is always free food. We never had to go grocery shopping anymore because people were always stopping by with home-cooked lasagnas and cakes and breakfast rolls. 

I took a few breakfast rolls we'd been given by Mrs Forester down the street and began to heat them up one by one in the microwave. I placed them all on a plate and covered them with alfoil just as the doorbell rang. 

I winced. I don't know how many times I've had to tell Zoe not to ring the stupid doorbell - it makes Grandma's hearing aid waver slightly. I walked through the kitchen and opened the door with a smile. 

Mitch and Zoe were newlyweds. Mitch just also happened to be my piano teacher. He taught me, growing up. He doesn't teach me anymore but he is the only qualified music teacher at Eastpoint High. 

Zoe was the granddaughter of Grandma's best friend. Mitch and Zoe were like siblings to me, the way Grandma treated them. 

They both wrapped me in a hug, crushing me.

I wheezed, "I think you forget how small I am."

Mitch released me and ruffled my hair, walking into the house but Zoe held me by the shoulders, looking me up and down, "Wow, Gee. You look even shorter than the last time I saw you."

I poked my tongue out at her.

"Put that tongue back in your mouth, Georgia James!" Grandma's shrill voice shrieked, "You'll attract too many boys with that thing hanging everywhere!"

"She's not wrong!" Mitch called from the kitchen.

Grandma burst into a fit of coughing and Zoe rushed over to help her. I moved into the kitchen where Mitch was already devouring his breakfast roll.

I raised an eyebrow at him.

He muttered, "Shut up."

"No cussin' in my house," I pointed a finger at him. 

Mitch smirked, "You're wearing the ring again?"

I blushed, "I wear it every Sunday. It's by far the prettiest ring I own."

"Mm-hm," he scoffed, "That's why you wear it."

I rolled my eyes at him and sat down to begin eating, "It's no other reason than that it's pretty."