Chapter Forty-One

Jen

Kim squirted the cold blue gel across my leg. Immediately, the hairs on my leg rose with the shiver. She began massaging it around. She asked, "Is this sore at all?"

"A bit numb, actually," I admitted. 

She grinned, "As long as it's not sore, that's okay."

She took off her gloves and dropped them into the small bin beside her. She grabbed the ultrasound wand and began using that instead to soak in the gel. 

"Any plans tonight? Parties?"

I shook my head at my physiotherapists, "No parties. But I do have a concert."

"Are there concerts in town?" she asked in confusion. 

"Oh, just a school one," I cleared up, "My band's performing."

She frowned, "You're a guitarist, right? Are you okay with standing without crutches?"

"I am a cheerleader." My balance is fine.

She tilted her head around to the receptionist, "Tayla! Can you grab me a brace from the back room?"

Tayla nodded, "One moment."

"A brace?" I asked Kim.

My physiotherapist nodded as she switched off the ultrasound wand. She grabbed a few tissues to wipe up the gel, "Maybe for tonight I can put you in a brace. See how you go on those rather than crutches?"

It slowly sank in. I beamed brightly, "Really? Thank you! Thank you, Kim!" I squealed.

My physiotherapist laughed, "We'll see if you can put any weight on it, alright? If not, then you're on crutches."

***

Will's car pulled up onto my kerb. I grabbed my guitar and handbag, ready to surprise them by walking out. I took a deep breath as I tried to keep my balance walking down the hallway. I called out, "Love you, mum! Love you, dad!"

I was still getting used to the unevenness with the brace, but I managed to get out of the door without tripping. I began my walk up the driveway. 

Lena called out of the car window, "Jenna! You're walking!"

I laughed, "No shit, Sherlock!"

She hopped out of the passenger seat to climb into the back. I grinned at her and slowly pulled myself up into Will's car. 

He kissed my cheek, "I like the sexy brace, Jen."

I scrunched my nose up, "Shut up, Will."

He grinned, "Admittedly, it's better than walking onto the stage with crutches."

Gee tapped my shoulder from behind, "I'm happy for you, Jen."

"Thanks, Gee," I replied, "Apparently I'm healing incredibly quickly so it's supposed to completely healed in about six weeks."

Will pulled out of my driveway, "Everyone ready for tonight?"

"Hell yeah," Matt murmured.

"When's Courtney getting there?" Lena asked.

I frowned down at my phone, "She was supposed to text me when she was fifteen minutes away... I haven't received anything yet."

Glancing around the car, I smiled at my boyfriend, Matt, Gee and Lena. Who knew I'd really end up dating Will? Or that I'd be friends with a criminal or a genius? What about the fact that a week ago, Lena hated me? I'd changed. 

I was still the same blonde bubble with dyslexia, fussy about almost anything but I wasn't the same princess that judged everyone.

I'm not who you think I am... but at the same time, I am. 

***

Song: You Ruin Me - The Veronicas

Thoughts?

xx Sharky.