Chapter Six

Jen

"Will!" I shouted, "Are you fucking kidding me, right now?"

He gripped my elbow and dragged me into the nearest classroom, out of the hallway. Will crossed his arms, "What do you want me to say, Jen?"

"So it's okay for you to sleep with Caitlyn but I can't flirt with James?" I glared at him, shrieking the tiniest bit.

Will stayed quiet, glaring steadily back at me like my words didn't affect him.

"Will," I lowered my voice, "I'm trying out for the AIS squad this afternoon and I don't need this shit on me today."

Will's eyes softened the tiniest bit. 

"Besides," my tone turned scathingly, "technically, we're not officially together."

I slid past him and made my way for the door but his hand in mine jerked me back. I stared up at him. Will took a step forward, his eyes narrowing on me, "Don't say that."

"It's true," I hissed, "We're in this little thing because it keeps us both distracted from what's really going on in our lives. Isn't that right?"

He stiffened, his jaw line stiffening, "Jenna..."

I tugged my hand out of his. I scoffed at him, rolling my eyes, "You can't even tell me what you're thinking anymore."

Will's eyes strayed to the floor. 

I raised an eyebrow, "See? All I'm asking is for you to talk to me."

"We've never just talked, Jen," he suddenly shot back, "Have we? Sure, we've known each other for years. We lost our fucking virginities to each other at sixteen. But have we actually talked? About feelings? No! It's always, always been physical. We've never been able to talk to each other about the important stuff."

My eyes glossed over quickly, with the knowledge that he was right. My breath hitched as I tried to rationalise this. 

Did he mean he wanted to talk to me? Or continue things going the way they are - physical? Or just... end things entirely?

"Jenna?" his voice was soft. 

Fingers caressed my face, wiping the tears coming from my eyes. 

"Sweetheart," he murmured before carefully taking me into a hug, "I didn't... I didn't mean to make you cry..."

My arms slowly wrapped around his back as I shuddered for breaths. My tears rolled into a patch on his shirt. I sniffed as his body warmth tried to calm me. 

"I'm sorry," I whispered, taking deep breaths, trying to stop the crying, "I try... so hard to make you happy..."

"What do you mean?"

Will froze against me. 

Had I said the wrong thing?

"I just..." I winced. Don't back down, "I come to all of your football games so you can have a real friend there," I looked up at him in close proximity, "I sleep with you so you can get your mind off your dad. I even... I even refrain from sleeping with other guys because I know that would cause a war between us. And nothing should break us apart..."

Will's eyes were tortured. He'd stopped breathing.

I definitely said the wrong thing.

"Jenna?" he murmured, leaning his forehead against mine, "I love you so, so much."

And in that moment, I knew he wasn't saying it romantically. He was saying it as my best friend. And that's what hurt most. 

***