We Navigate Rocky Roads (FaT A/U)

Part of my Flower and Tattoos A/U. Focused more on the rocky relationship between Fitz, Kara (Agent 33), and Ward. You'll find out why in the chapter.

Working with Kara Palmer was rather difficult sometimes. Not because Kara was a bad employee or because she didn't do her work, it was because of her two timing, two faced, dick headed ass of a boyfriend.

Kara was actually a nice girl, though a bit misguided, and very sweet. Fitz could be civil, have a good conversation. He knew some things about Kara that several people didn't. He knew a lot about Kara that everyone they associated with knew.

The only thing Fitz really had a problem with is when she brought her boyfriend, Grant Ward, to work.

Grant Ward was a jackass, a massive bully. He used Fitz to further his own career and what was worse? Ward had managed to convince Fitz to get a tattoo.

The little one behind his ear? Yeah, Ward had managed to convince him to get a feather.

It was small, not really noticable, but it reminded Fitz of Ward's betrayal, the way Ward had hurt him (he was told to cut his losses and kill him, but he left Fitz for dead instead by locking him inside a burning building that he just barely managed to escape from), and the once airtight relationship between them.

It hurt Fitz so much that he almost closed down his tattoo shop. Until Daisy (a computer programmer), Melinda (owner and instructor of a self defense program), and Coulson (police officer) found him and managed to help piece him back together enough that he was able to be in the same building with Ward, but still didn't like talking to him or being anywhere near him.

He got migraines just thinking about it.

"Joey's done with restock and I finished with all the customers." Kara smiled.

Fitz nodded. "Alright. Take the rest of the day off, Kara, you've earned it. Some rush hour, huh?"

Kara laughed as she started packing up her things. "Sure was. I thought I was gonna be buried in ink." She joked.

Fitz grinned. "See you after the weekend." He waved her out.

Jemma came over after her shift at six and Leo greeted her as he began packing up. She came around the counter and kissed his cheek.

To his surprise, the bell above the door rang. Glancing at the clock, Fitz saw it was long past closing time. "I'm sorry, we're clo-" he cut off looking up and seeing who was at the door.

"Hey, Fitz." Greeted Grant Ward.

Immediately, Fitz was transported back to short years ago when that building was set on fire and he was trapped inside.

His head started pounding. His breathing picked up, and he bent double over the counter with a groan of pain.

Jemma looked up and growled. "What do you want?" She snarled.

"Came here looking for Kara. Is she in?" Ward asked, looking around casually.

"Sh-she's already g-gone." Fitz mumbled, desperately trying to get his breathing under control.

"She's left," Jemma snapped, placing a hand on Fitz's shoulder, "And you should to. You aren't welcome here."

Ward laughed. "Right."

"You aren't." Jemma looked down and Leo, trying to gauge if he was alright. She sent him a silent message with her gentle squeeze to the shoulder. Are you okay?

Leo's barely perceptible nod gave her all the answer she needed.

"Get out." Jemma growled lowly, glaring at Ward with eyes blazing.

Ward cocked an eyebrow. "What?"

"Get. Out." Jemma's voice was harsh and cold, like a sharpened silver knife and it showed too. Ward flinched back slightly with the force of her words.

She spotted Kara on the street outside, they locked eyes, and Jemma's eyes flicked to Ward and back.

Kara rushed in, pulling on Ward's sleeve. "Grant, there you are. God, what where you thinking?" She asked, pushing him out the door. "Sorry, boss. I'll just take him home."

"D-don't c-c-come to..." Leo dissolved into panting again.

Jemma looked at Kara with a gentle smile. "Don't come to work Monday. Fitz isn't going to be here." Fitz nodded.

Kara smiled gently. "See you on Tuesday then, Fitz." She led Ward back out into the parking lot.

"Leo?" Jemma asked, and Leo whined in response.

Jemma called a good bye to Joey, who had his own experience with Ward and knew how awful he was, then led Leo back out to the car.

The rest of the weekend was spent being sure that Leo wasn't mentally harmed in any way, shape, or form.

The next Tuesday, Fitz was back to normal and Kara made sure to keep Ward far away from her work.