07. Gentle Gratitudes (Revised)

My legs are weak as we walk the cobblestone streets, Captain Wolfe holding onto my arm. The sun is almost completely set as my eyes start to droop out of exhaustion. I look up at Captain Wolfe who shows no emotion on his face. I'm going to have to thank him sooner of later for saving me, but perhaps now is not that time.

"Where are we going now?" I ask as my stomach growls from hunger. Captain Wolfe cocks his eyebrow down at me. "Hopefully somewhere with food."

"So many questions," grumbles Captain Wolfe as he pulls me around a corner.

A small, dainty house stands before us now. The sign reads Sandy Shores Inn, a rather inviting title. I'm almost pulling Captain Wolfe towards the building my feet are rushing so quickly to get inside. Unlike the bar, this place is well lit. I smile at the beautiful paintings on the walls and admire the welcoming aroma.

My eyes look upon myself in a standing mirror. Dark bags hang under my eyes as visible knots have formed in my hair. Gasping, I realizing how inappropriate I am dressed being in men's clothing. Mother would be so humiliated if she saw me like this. Captain Wolfe watches me out of the corner of his eye as he stands in line, waiting to be assisted.

My hands touch my face gingerly as I truly see how unkept I look. Those around me would never imagine that I am an heir to a Governor.

"Come along," Captain Wolfe orders as we walk up the stairs to the second floor. "This way."

He stops for a moment, opening the door. The sheer window curtains flap in the breeze as a comfortable bed awaits me. "I'll be out here the entire night, so your chances of escaping are very low," He hands me the key, which surprises me slightly, and closes the door once I'm inside.

I almost squeal at the scent of appealing fragrances that enter my nose. A gigantic tub resides off of the bedroom. My eyes lighten up at this, knowing how badly I'm in need of a bath.

Making sure the bathroom door is locked, I begin to undress out of the smelly, tattered men's clothing and draw myself a bath. The warm water relaxes my muscles as the steam sends my mind into almost a dream state.

Once I am done freshening up, I throw my clothes into the scented bath and hope that it'll freshen them up a bit. Captain Wolfe's jacket, however, I hang on the back of the door. I brush out my hair with my fingers, desperately and successfully removing most of the knots from it. Slipping into a provided robe, I crawl underneath the covers of the bed. This one isn't lumpy and squeaky like the one on the ship, but soft and quiet.

A soft knock at the door causes me to climb out of the bed. I open the door enough to see who it is and am revealed that it's only Captain Wolfe. He holds out a platter of fruits and bread which I accept without hesitation. I begin to devour the food in front of him until I realize how unladylike I am being. However, he doesn't seem to mind.

He starts to shut the door, but I stop him, a look of confusion overtaking his expression. "I wanted to thank you for saving me... on several occasions."

Captain Wolfe simply nods his head, acknowledging my words. "We have an early morning tomorrow," he states while closing the door once more.

I stand there quite dumbfounded by his response to my gratitude. Then again, I don't know what exactly I was expecting to happen.

Finishing the food, I yawn out of exhaustion. I can hear Captain Wolfe repositioning himself against the wall outside. He wasn't kidding when he said he was going to stay out there all night. Regardless, I blow out the candles and crawl back beneath the warmth of the covers. Before I know it, I'm fast asleep, wondering what fate is in store for me tomorrow.