Chapter Nineteen: Preparing For The Ball

"You were brilliant!" Whispers Captain Wolfe, beaming a large smile down at me.

I smile slightly back up at him, but soon stare down at the ground. "I'm frightened." I whisper as we walk up one of the two gigantic stair cases.

"I'll be there the entire time. You'll be fine." Says Captain Wolfe, leading me down a hallway.

"What if I say something wrong? Or do something stupid?" I ask, wrapping myself around Captain Wolfe's arm.

He stops and looks down at me. "I know you'll be just fine." I return his gaze, but stare with worry more than compassion.

"You promise you'll be there the entire time?" I ask quietly.

"Never in my wildest dreams would I even think about leaving you." He answers.

A smile slips onto my face as I reach up and kiss Captain Wolfe's chin.
Captain Wolfe then wraps his arm around my waist as we continue walking down the hallway.

"We're here." He says, twisting the solid gold door knob. The room itself was quite beautiful. Two giant French doors leading to a balcony, bright baby blue walls, hardwood floors.

"It's beautiful." I say, walking into the room with wonder in my eyes.

"Fit for a Prince." Captain Wolfe remarks with a slight smirk, standing next to me in the room.

My hand runs over the satin bed covers. I wish I could just crawl under the covers and sleep the days away, but I realize I can't, due to the grand ball tonight.

"I best be going and getting ready, I shall see you tonight." Captain Wolfe says as he bids me goodbye. After he shuts the door, I collapse on the bed due to my extreme fatigue. Daring not to fall asleep, I sit up straight and stare out the two French doors. Tops of homes and buildings is all that can be seen. Not one forest or mountain.

"Well, Kate. You best be getting ready too." I say to myself.

Walking over to the mirror, I stare at the gown I am currently wearing. Would it be rude to wear the same thing? It's not like I brought an entire trunk full of gowns.

I'm brought out of my debating thoughts when a knock on the door is heard. I walk over and open the door to reveal a butler holding a large box.

"Miss, this box has been sent for me to deliver by Prince Adam Wolfe." The butler says, extending the box to me.

"Thank you." I answer, taking the box from his hands. The man simply nods as I shut the door.

The box has a large pink bow wrapped around it. I undo the bow with curiosity, and open the box to reveal a cream colored gown. Talk about perfect timing. Crystals are sown in circle patterns from the hips down.

After I take a well needed bath, I slip the gown easily over my head and button the back, surprisingly, all by myself. This gown fits almost as well a the green one. The shoes do not need to be changed do to the fact that this gown as well reaches the floor.

The mirror does justice when I look at myself. I fix my red hair so it falls neatly on my shoulders and place my fan nicely in my hand. Smelling a perfume bottle that was on the dresser, I spray myself with the sweet fragrance.

"Not bad, Kate. Not bad." I whisper.

I'm brought out of the admiration of the gown, by another knock on the door. But this time, I recognize the voice straight away.

"Kate, it's time to go." Captain Wolfe says through the door.

I twist the door knob and open the door to see a well groomed, freshly shaven, Captain Wolfe. He looks like a Prince from a book I read to James. Dressed in the finest suit they probably had for him, since this entire ball is in his honor, he slips his cutlass into its holder on the side of his belt.

"Don't you look dashing." I say, closing the door behind me.

"And you look as radiant as the sun." He says, kissing my hand.

Captain Wolfe extends his hand elbow to me, and I loop my arm through as we begin walking down the hallway.

"What if your brother sees us?" I whisper.

"He has actually sent for me to come and escort you to the ball. Something about you seeming to trust me more than anyone here." Captain Wolfe whispers back.

"He makes a fair point." I say, resting my head on his arm as we walk.

We reach the large doors of the throne room when I look up at Captain Wolfe. "This is where the ball is at?" I ask.

"Yes. You'll understand soon enough." He says, placing his hand in the air for the guards to open the doors.

"Ready?" He asks as the doors begin to open and the sounds of music and laughter can be heard from within.

"Ready." I whisper back.