09. Keep Your Word (Revised)

I laugh as the kitten tries to climb onto my shoulder, staring up at me with its innocent eyes. Captain Wolfe's dart towards the retreating sun. "It's time, Marco should be there," He states looking back at me with a rather odd expression.

     I grimace at the thought of returning to the bar. "Must I join you two? Can't I just wait outside?" I inquire as he crosses his muscular arms across his chest.

    "You must," he answers plainly as we almost reach the bars entrance. "He'll be expecting you." 

     "Why? I serve no purpose in planning whatever it is you're planning," The kitten paws gently at the underside of my chin.

    "You play more of a role then you know," Captain Wolfe responds, his voice dry.

     "What do you mean?" He's caught my interest once more. "How so?"

     "I'm afraid I can't tell you," Captain Wolfe responds, his hand caressing the back of his neck.

     "You must!" His face instantly darkens with something that makes my blood turn icy.

     "I mustn't do anything!" He exclaims, closing the gap that was once between us. My eyes stare in horror at his face which is inches from my own. "Giving orders is not your job."

     His warm breath caressed my face as he breathes heavily. My bottom lip quivers out of fright as his body tenses itself. Regaining control of himself, he steps back and stares down at the kitten nuzzling itself in my arms.

     "Hide that thing!" He orders pointing at the kitten. I tuck the kitten hesitantly into the inner pocket of the leather jacket. Though one side of my body looks significantly larger then the other, I hope that it'll be overlooked.

     Leaning against the brick wall outside of the bar, Captain Marco's eyes lock with my own as we approach. Something about him doesn't feel right to me, however, I can't pinpoint what it is. Could it be his twisted grin, or the fact he's in the dealings with Captain Wolfe.

     "Long time no see," Marco states while standing terribly close to me. "Lovely to see you again."

     He takes my hand and kisses the top of it as he had done the night before. His eyes look up towards me with an unpleasant glare. I narrow my eyes into his as he lets out a soft, deep chuckle.

     "Charmed," I state in a sarcastic tone before pulling my hand out of his grasp.

    "Is your crew assembled, Captain?" Captain Wolfe pipes in as my eyes turn their attention towards him.

     "Aye," Marco responds confidently. "We're set to sail."

     "Very good," Wolfe replies while nodding his head. "We leave at dawn."

     Captain Marco's eyes lingered as though waiting for me to say something. Captain Wolfe must have sensed the uncomfortable aroma for he stepped closer to me, demanding Marco's attention.

     "The plan is in motion then?" Captain Wolfe inquires as his eyes cast themselves upon me for a quick moment.

     "As long as you keep your word, I believe it is," Marco states hastily as his eyes narrow  towards Captain Wolfe.

     "What plan?" I blurt out, sick of being left in the dark.

     "You'll find out soon enough, love," his answer is too vague to even be considered acceptable. "Very soon."