16. News

His kiss was not of a drunken man, but full of a passion I had never experienced before. My hands pressed themselves against his chest in defiance, trying not to allow myself to succumb to the tenderness of his affection. But just as waves crash so carelessly upon the sand, I also without a care gave in, returning his affectionate display, grabbing onto his garment and pulling him closer to me. After a moment, his hands gingerly leave my face, not before his finger caresses my blushing cheek. I look downward before feeling his arms wrap themselves around my waist. My hands are rested upon his chest, but no longer in resistance. I finally possess enough courage to meet his eyes, and while I stare into them with much confusion at first, all the confusion fades into a simple smile. We both appear speechless, neither ever thinking that a bond of love could have ever been born between us. His eyes dance from one feature of my face to the next as though he is soaking up every inch into his memory. 

"You must be the most stubborn woman I've ever met." Captain Wolfe finally breaks the silence. 

"You're realizing this now, Captain? I took you to be a bit quicker than that." He lets out a hearty chuckle before shaking his head and revealing a pearly grin. 

He releases me, but quickly extends his arm towards me. Waiting for a moment, I look from his arm to the dashing smirk painted upon his face. I confidently link my arm through his as we walk back up the stairs. Members of the crew spot us as we reach the main deck, elbowing each other, along with confused faces and side glances. However, out of the corner of my eye, I see someone who doesn't appear surprised or confused at all. Mr. Jo tips his hat in our direction with an almost proud smile across his face. I suppose he was right, Captain Wolfe did take a liking to me.

We walk into Caption Wolfe's study. I unhook my arm from his and walk over to the large map. My eyes gaze upon the map, noticing places I had traveled with my parents, and places I had never heard of before. My attention is caught by the markings of our current position on the map. While I'm not an expert map reader, my guess would be that we are to arrive on England's shore in two days time. Captain Wolfe now stands beside me, trying to gauge where my attention lies within the map. 

I stand straight and keep my gaze fixated on the map. "What will we do now?" The words tremble from within my throat. 

His eyes also do not leave the map. "We'll arrive in England soon. Beyond that, however, I can't make any promises to you." He states, confident but with a hint of sorrow. 

"What do you mean?" I ask.

He sighs for a moment. "I cannot commit anything to you beyond this ship or beyond our stop at England."

I look at his serious, but comforting, expression. My finger runs down his cheek, causing him to look into my eyes. "I don't need promises." I say honestly.

I mean, who would really expect a pirate to stay committed to a Governors daughter like me? I don't hold him to it, but fate might surprise me. One will never know.

The fire crackles in the Study as I walk over to the shelves of books.

"More reading?" Asks Captain Wolfe as he sits at the desk in the corner.

"Possibly. I adore the Literature your Father gave you." I answer, picking at least three books off the shelf.

"He always did have a good taste in books, I suppose." Captain Wolfe remarks from his desk.

"Was your Father a pirate too?" I ask out of curiosity.

"No. He is a King, but not of the seas, of a country." Answers Captain Wolfe quietly.

"Your Father is a King?" I ask in pure shock, almost dropping the books on my hands.

"Aye." He answers.

"And- And you chose a life of piracy? Why?" I ask softly.

"Sitting in a throne dealing with the problems of the world wasn't my cup of tea."

"But- Wouldn't be your duty? As the next in line?" I ask with much fear that I might make him angry.

He stays quiet for a moment. "Since I am not there, my brother will become King."

I stay quiet for a moment after he answers. "Where is your Father King of?"

He stays quiet for a very long time until I hear him sigh quietly. "England."