08. Trust (Revised)

I nearly jump out of my skin at the sound of a rough, banging fist on the door. I fall from the bed with a thud, draped in the covers before carefully standing to my feet. "Yes?" I call out, sounding quite exasperated.

     "Hurry up, we haven't got all day for you to sleep!" Growls Captain Wolfe from the other side of the door. I grimace while plopping back down on the bed, wishing I could just stay entwined in these comfortable sheets forever.

     He bangs his fist on the door once more. "You're driving my patience," his voice hisses angrily.

     "Fine!" I yell in defeat as I stand from the bed. "I'll be out in a moment."

     I'm forced to strip of the bathrobe and place the grimy and tattered articles of men's clothing back on my body. However, they do smell a lot better since I let them soak. Rummaging through the drawers, I find what I'm searching  for; a single piece of ribbon.

     "Do I have to come in there?" Questions Captain Wolfe's husky voice.

     "That won't be necessary, thank you!" I respond while tying the ribbon into a bow at the end of my long braid.

     I close the door behind me after exiting the room. Captain Wolfe leans against the opposite wall, giving me the once over after seeing me. "Finally," he grumbles while standing from the wall and starting to walk down the stairs.

     "Let me guess, we're going back to the bar?" I question while quickly following him, skipping a step or two along the way.

     "No," is all he says before opening the Inn door, allowing me to walk out first.

     It takes a moment for my eyes to adjust to the sunshine. I walk beside Captain Wolfe and am surprised he isn't either holding my wrist or taking all precautions to make sure I don't try to run. Could it be he's starting the trust me?

     "I have a question for you," I state as he looks down at me with a rather serious facial expression.

     "You're the most talkative hostage I've ever had," he mutters under his breath, causing me to look off to the side, not really sure how to respond.

     "How did you know I left my cabin the other night?" I ask simply.

     "I hardly ever sleep," he states, refusing to look down at me directly. "I'm almost always out roaming the ship at night. I just so happened to see you walk onto the deck." 

     I almost gasp aloud at what he does next. I watch him take off his hood, slowly and carefully. Utterly shocked, I stare at his face. I've never seen his full face before. I take in every detail: the unshaven whiskers on his chin, his eyes, his nose, his mouth.

     "What are you staring at?" He asks out of annoyance, snapping me out of my examination.

     Finding my reason far too embarrassing to share, I rather ignore his question, but ask another of my own. "Why don't you sleep?"

     He shrugs before letting out a chuckle. "I have too much on my mind to sleep peacefully."

     "Like what?" I ask, intrigued to find out just what exactly pirates think about.

     He takes a moment, as though he's thinking of something profound to say. "Nothing," is his final answer, causing my jaw to almost hit the cobblestone.

     We walk the rest of the way to wherever we're going in silence. Arriving at what I imagine to be the town square, I can't help but look around at all sorts the items for sale. My eyes directly go towards the fruit, reminiscing on what I had eaten last night. Captain Wolfe links his arm through mine, alerting me that the slight trust that was there has disappeared. My body tenses at his action, but I dare not deny.

     I watch as he buys pistol ammunition and a small pocket knife. We make our way to the fruit stand and I feel my mouth begin to water. To my surprise Captain Wolfe states, "Pick out what you please."

     Staring up at him, a look of confusion fills my eyes. He motions with his head towards the fruit. "I'll have an apple and an orange, please," I request to the man behind the stand who only responds with darting eyes from Captain Wolfe back to me.

     Captain Wolfe speaks in a language not native to me, but it seems to have gotten through, for the man claps his hands together and hands both an apple and orange to me. Captain Wolfe pays the man with a gold coin or two and we leave, arm linked in arm.

     "Thank you," I hold the orange up towards him, which he accepts with a slight grin. "What did you say to that man?"

     "He's a Spanish man, most people are around here," states Captain Wolfe as we browse the other stands. "He only knew Spanish. Anything you tried to say to him sounded like gibberish."

     Captain Wolfe buys a ball of string, for what I don't know, as I eat my apple happily. My eyes suddenly stare at a moving box behind the stand. A word is written in big letters on the side, something I can't read.

     "What are you staring at now?" Captain Wolfe must have caught my gaze.

     I try to separate my arm from his, but feel his strong hand stopping me. "Getting ideas, are we?" He asks softly.

     "No, what's that?" I point towards the box which moves once more. To my surprise, he releases my arm, allowing me to walk near the box under a shading palm tree.

     Kneeling down and lifting up the box, the tiniest kitten I have ever seen rolls on it's back in the sand. "It's a kitten!" I exclaim with a gentle laugh.

     "No," states Captain Wolfe as he crouches down next to me. "I will not have..."

     "But it'll die on it's own!" I plea as our eyes connect. "It's so small."

     He looks away from my gaze and sighs. "If it disturbs my crew in anyway, it's gone," he states, rising to his feet.

     I gingerly pick up the kitten, who doesn't resist, and cradle it in my arms. "You wouldn't hurt a fly, would you? No, I don't think so," the kitten purrs as I pet it's head softly.

    Captain Wolfe continues walking, leading the way back towards the stands. We near a stand that is selling an array of different flowers; some which I have never seen before. I inhale deeply, taking in the sweet aroma. A little girl, who looks almost the same age as James, walks up to Captain Wolfe and tugs on his clothing. I have to conceal my giggles as I watch him crouch down to become eye level with the girl. He reaches up, without the vendor knowing, and plucks a single flower from one of the canisters. Captain Wolfe holds it out towards the little girl who squeals in delight before running to show her Mother her newly acquired treasure.

     My mouth falls agape slightly as my head slightly tilts to one side. He stays crouched for another moment, almost taking in the moment, until standing straight and tall. He looks back at me and keeps a blank expression across his face, perhaps even embarrassed that I had witnessed his kind act.

     "Come on, it's nearly time to meet Marco," he calls while starting to walk, pulling his hood up as he does.

     I hurry and follow him, not wanting to get lost in these crowds. My eyes kindly graze over him before I smile to myself. Perhaps a bit of me has misjudged him.