17. The Plan Is Off (Revised)

While walking down the stairs, passing crew members spontaneously tip their hats in my direction. This mere action catches me off guard at first, since I'm not used to such chivalry aboard The Blue Voyager, but I catch a faint smile curl the onto my lips. Something has definitely changed course, but I can't pinpoint what has changed so drastically.

I arrive at the door to my cabin and walk inside. James rubs himself against my legs affectionately, purring lightly as he does. The kitten begs for my attention. I run my fingers through his soft fur for a moment before instinctively walking over to the closet. Opening it, my eyes are met with a new outfit. Inside the closet resides a white blouse, brown vest, and black pants. Taking the articles of clothing from the wardrobe, I throw them excitedly onto my bed. The new outfit feels comfortable and looks much better. Strapping on my knee-high black boots, I toy around with my hair until I feel it looks remotely acceptable. Then again, no one seems to appreciate proper fashion anyway. Although, as I look down at the outfit in admiration, perhaps this outfit suits me better than any of my lavish gowns ever did.

The kitten leaps on to the bed and curls into a ball. "I'll be back soon, James. I promise you'll have my full attention when I get back." The kitten yawns, hardly giving me the attention he so desperately wants.

The raging waves toss the ship like a toy boat, making my balance rather unsteady. The ship turns violently to the point that I have to cling to the side railing with all my strength. Once I finally make it to one of my destinations, the pouring rain beats down against my clothing and skin, drenching both mercilessly. My boots slip on the wooden floorboards as I rush inside the dining hall. Slamming the door shut behind me, no doubt appearing rather frightening and disheveled, I move the wet strands of hair from my face.

"Go easy on her, Kate. The Blue Voyager isn't as young as she used to be." Captain Wolfe jests with a captivating smile, standing from his chair at my arrival.

"It seems this wind and rain will destroy her faster than I ever could." I reply as the wet blouse clings to my skin uncomfortably.

"She's afloat, isn't she?" Inquires Captain Wolfe as I approach him.

"For now, at least." I tease, my voice dropping into a different range of notes which seem to captivate his attention. "The storm isn't over quite yet, Captain."

I brush myself gently against Captain Wolfe's side while passing him by as a certain gaze within my eyes seems to entice him. He nearly melts like smelted gold while watching me make my way.

"Neither is the night." He remarks huskily while effortlessly popping the cork out of a wine bottle. "The night is still very young, indeed."

"Special occasion?" I ask innocently, reaching inside the cupboard for two glasses. "Or am I just lucky?"

"Considering what happened the last time you had strong beverages, this will have to do." Captain Wolfe gives me a devilish grin. "Wouldn't want you clinging to me the way you were Captain Marco."

"Spare me the alcohol jokes." It's now my turn to flash him a pearly smile before setting the glasses carefully upon the table. He fills them half way before handing one to me. Our fingers brush each other as I take my glass and snarly clink it against his before taking a sip.

"Where is our destination now?" My curious mind inquires as my finger runs around the rim of the glass. "Somewhere interesting, I hope."

Finishing his glass of wine, he replies, "England." His eyes quickly leave his glass to catch my initial response.

Captain Wolfe's reply nearly causes me to choke on the sip I had just taken. "The plan... It's still in motion?"

"No, my dear, We have other plans to attend to." He states, causing me to raise my eyebrow in confusion, which does not stop him from pouring himself another glass of wine. "That ship has sailed."