Chapter Seventeen: A Pirates Word Cant Be Trusted

"What?" I sneer at him. "You're willing to steal from your own family?"

Captain Wolfe stays quiet.

"How could you be so- so.." I say, trying to think of a word to describe this situation. "Heartless?" I whisper.

This seems to catch his attention, because he stops writing, and sits up straight in the chair.

"You don't know anything." He says trying to contain his anger.

"I know a lot more than you think." I respond quietly.

"You don't understand, it's too complicated." He says, standing up and walking over towards the map.

A knock on the Study door interrupts the words I was about to say, which might have been a blessing on my part.

"Sir, plans B and C cannot be carried out once we reach England." The man says practically shaking.

"Why not?" Captain Wolfe demands. I listen closely, but pretend to read.

"Sources heard the King has been expecting those plans to be carried out for a while now. We can't risk it." The man says.

"Shit." Is all Captain Wolfe says before shutting the door. He rubs his face as if to relax the angered expression.

"Something wrong?" I ask, daring not to look up from the book.

He laughs and then sits on the other bear skinned chair, holding his face.
"You're not going to like this." He says.

I close the book and stare at him, waiting for an answer. "What has happened?" I ask in almost an inaudible voice.

"Plan A is back in action." He says, rubbing the temples of his forehead with his index and middle fingers.

My mouth drops to the floor, as do the books.

"You mean-" I begin.

"You have to trick my Brother into loving you." He whispers.

"No!" I shout, standing up. I begin to pace rapidly in front of the fire.

"It's the only way now-" Begins Captain Wolfe.

"Then cancel the plan completely!" I yell at him.

He now stands up and stares at me. "I can't."

I stop in my tracks, my back facing him. "You can't?" I whisper, but then begin laughing. "Then why even call yourself the Captain? You're right, you can never trust a pirates word!" I yell and hiss at him.

He becomes infuriated by my words, as I hear him exhale rather loudly. I then feel both his hands grab onto my shoulders, he spins me around so I face him. I dare not make eye contact. "The only reason I can't give up the plan is because of the deal I have with Marco. The only way now that I'll be able to keep you with me, is if I give him the gold and jewels. He swore to Mr. Jo after I had left the other day that unless the gold and jewels were his, he would take you and kill you." Says Captain Wolfe.

My expression goes blank. My mind, fuzzed. I begin to shake rapidly, like a piece of grass in the wind. Tears begin falling down my face, in which I have no control over them. My knees suddenly feel weak. Captain Wolfe has to hold me up.

"I'm sorry." I say finally, looking up at him with tears running down my cheeks uncontrollably.

He wipes the tears away with his thumb, and stares back down at me with an expression of compassion.

"You're a strong woman, Kate. I know we can get through this, together." He says, tucking a strand of hair behind my ear.

"I'm frightened." I whisper.

"I know, but you have to trust me when I tell you that we'll be okay. Marco will never harm you, and my Brother will never truly have you. We'll be back on the seas in a couple weeks time, I promise." He says.

The strength of my knees return to me because of his words. I embrace him in a hug, and bury my face deep into his shoulder.

"Must this be the only way?" I ask muffled by his leather jacket.

"Aye, but I will be there the entire time." He says. His arms wrap around my waist tighter as we stand there both in fear of what may happen to us in the course of these next few weeks.