02. Pirates (Revised)

We've been sailing for quite some time, the exact time, however, I'm uncertain of. Dense, eerie fog surrounds the ship as nightfall soon approaches. It's too dark to possibly see any fish at this hour, but I don't spoil James' fun. Sitting on the deck with him, my hand strokes the soft hairs of his head. I can't help but admire the fact that though he is small and defenseless now, one day he'll become big and strong; quite possibly even a ruler himself.

He laughs while reaching up and moving bunches of my hair up and down in his hands. I can't help but laugh along with him. James sticks out his nose with a quirky smile, a universal sign between us for a butterfly kiss. His nose gently rubs against mine before I kiss his forehead. Becoming unamused by my hair, James makes one final attempt to spot some fish in the ocean by sticking his head through the bars of the railing.

"Come away from the railing, James," Mother calls to him as she sips from her porcelain teacup. "You won't see any fish at this hour, anyway."

I roll my eyes out of her view. Why can't she let him have a little fun? "Mother, he'll only be excited about the ocean for a few more days. Let him be." I retort, trying my best to keep my tone normal. Unable to control myself, I laugh while watching James's head move from side to side, still desperate to catch sight of one fish.

"What I say goes, Kate," Mother stands roughly from her chair before making her way towards us. "You are not in charge around here."

James quickly bring his head back inside the railing, looking up at her with fright in his eyes. She grips her decorative fan tightly within her gloved hands before hitting the back of my head with it. Her hit wasn't hard or painstaking, especially since it was only a fan, but I imagined it to put me in my place. Swiftly lifting James from the wooden floor, her eyes narrow into mine.

"I expect an improved attitude upon meeting your betrothed," James covers his ears at her voice, he never likes it when we fight or when voices become too stern or tense. "Do you understand?"

"Yes, Mother." I respond meekly, looking down at my hands to avoid her glare.

She waits for a moment before walking away with James in her arms. James waves goodbye to me as they climb down the stairs which lead the lower deck. I wave back to him before his head disappears and I am left alone with my thoughts once more. If I can hardly survive with my own family, how am I supposed to survive with a husband?

• • •

     The air turned crisp as darkness completely covered the sky. It caressed my face in a way that sent shivers coursing throughout my body. Standing at the front of the ship, my eyes saw nothing but the moonlight reflecting off the never ending sea. My eyes looked up towards the darkness and could pinpoint certain star constellations that I had previously read about in my astronomy books. I loved to read all sorts of books, it didn't matter what it was about as long as it had words and pages.

     No matter how hard I tried to concentrate on the stars, my mind only found its way back to the arranged marriage. He'd either completely fall in love with me, or treat me as though I was just someone he was married to. What if he never even asks about my childhood? My likes and dislikes? Am I going to be trapped with a man who has no interest in knowing me any further then the title of "wife"? Nevertheless, having James and Lily with me on this journey would surely ease my nerves.

     The quiet sounds of shoes against the wooden floorboards alerted me that someone was approaching. "It's getting colder by the minute out here, Miss," states Lily, causing a smile to appear upon my face. "I've brought you a coat."

The Pirate's Treasure (#Wattys2017)जहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें