16. We're Both Odd (Revised)

"Are we going to dock again anytime soon?" I inquire while following the small dots on the map with my eyes.

"Not for a while," Captain Wolfe replies softly before looking towards me. "Eager for land, are we?"

"Why not dock here for a couple of days?" I ask, pointing to a certain dot on the map. "It's not that far."

Captain Wolfe scoffs for a moment. "We're very much wanted there, and not in a good way. If we were to show up in town, we'd all be sent to the gallows." Noticing my slightly frightened expression, Captain Wolfe leans in closer. "Do you wish to be sent to the gallows?" He asks with a slight smirk.

"Can't say that I do," I reply while picking up the protractor from the table and I examining it in my hands.

"Here," Captain Wolfe takes the contraption from my hands. "you use it like this."

My eyes are more focused on the side of Captain Wolfes face as he works the contraption on the map. Looking over, he offers it to me with a gentle expression of my face. Our gaze is held for a moment before I take the tool once again within my hands.

"You're a very odd girl, did you know that?" Captain Wolfe inquires as he folds up the map. "I've never met one quite like you before."

I scoff for a moment. "I've heard it all before."

"And who else has told you that you're odd?" Captain Wolfes right side of his body now leaves against the table, his right arm giving him support. I stand there as tall as an arrow and look over at the clever grin across his face.

"My mother has before," I state while turning my back to him and walking over towards the bookshelves. "She never approved of the way I spoke my mind, of that makes sense," my soft hand grazes over the wound upon my cheek. "It always did get me into trouble."

Captain Wolfe must have noticed my behavior, because moments later the sound of his boots grow closer to me. Turning around, I stare up into his eyes. Something is there that wasn't there before. He exhales loudly and runs his callused thumb over the wound on my cheek gingerly. My feet cause me to back up slightly in confusion, his actions catching me off-guard.

"He won't harm you again," Captain Wolfe sounds as though he's making a promise to me. "And I'm sorry for what he did do to you."

"You don't need to apologize," my eyes scan his face for a moment. The last time we were this close was the morning after his fever. "Perhaps it isn't the idea of myself being harmed, but what he'll do to you that worries me."

I lower my head, looking down at the floorboard before I feel Captain Wolfe lift my head with a gentle finger in order to look upon him. He isn't cruel like Captain Marco, but I still have my suspicions.

"You really are an odd girl, not a single crew member--besides Mister Joe--has ever been concerned about my well being more than their own," he states with a kind smile, almost an appreciative smile.

My eyes avert his gaze. "I care more for others than I do myself." My mind then replays Captain Wolfes words for a moment. "Hold on, did you say crew member?"

"Did I?" His voice is in a playful tone as the corners of his mouth tug up once more into a smile. "Well, maybe I did."

"Are you..."

"After you saved my life, you were no longer a prisoner to me," he says which sends my heart into a flutter.

"My, Captain Wolfe, how your morals have changed."

He chuckles within his throat for a moment before smirking towards me.
I giggle before looking into his eyes once again. "You're an odd man, Captain Wolfe, if I do say so myself."

"Really? Enlighten me."

"You were willing to fight one of your own to ensure my wellbeing, that's something you don't see everyday," I explain with a gentle grin.

"I can't argue with your words."

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

I walk over towards the door and pause for a moment before exiting. "James is probably lonely down there all by himself."

"Then by all means you should accompany him," Captain Wolfe nods with a small smile. He walks over to the bear-skinned chair and sits down. Smiling to myself, I turn the door handle.

"Would you join me for dinner?" Captain Wolfes voice asks from the chair.

"That I will do," opening the door, I exit with a rather stupid smile upon my face before closing the door swiftly behind me.