01. Hoist Anchor! (Revised)

Someone turns the doorknob gingerly as the door squeaks open. I groan, not wanting to leave my bed. "Good morning, Miss Kate. It's time for you to get ready to leave," whispers Lily, my maid and dearest friend, softly as she opens the blinds.

My morning voice is gruff and unappealing. I pull the pillow up and over my head before begging in a muffled tone, "Please, Lily, just five more minutes."

     "Now, Miss Kate, you really must be getting up..." She replied, beginning to peel the covers off my body. The cold air hits my body, causing me to immediately try and grab the covers back to keep myself warm. "We must have you ready."

     I sigh. "Please?" I gently ask once more.

     She stays silent for a moment, most likely contemplating her answer. "Five minutes, but you best be up before that if I have anything to say about it," She rambles before closing the door to my bedroom.

     My eyes start to droop once more as I can feel my breathing pattern slow. I can hear myself start to lightly snore, for I'm not completely unconscious yet. A knock at the door causes me to sit up straight as a pin in my bed, my hair going in every direction.

     "Y-Yes? Who is it?" I ask as my eyes start to close once more, my head basically hanging.

     "Only your favorite," the voice of my Father teases. "May I come in?"

     By that time, I'm already lightly snoring once more. "Kate, are you alright in there?" He asks in concern, knocking on the door once more.

     I stop snoring and sit up straight. "Who is is?" I ask, completely blown out by my exhaustion.

     "I-It's still me," he replies with suspicion in his tone. "May I come in?" He asks once more.

     "Yes, of course," I reply, swinging my legs over the side of the bed. Stretching while I stand, I make my way towards the large windows.

     "Beautiful day for voyage!" His voice exclaims from behind me. "The perfect weather for sailing!"

     "Indeed," I reply with a grin before turning around to face him. "Remind me, Father, how long will this trip take?"

     "I promise you'll be home with time to spare before the celebratory ball," Father retorts placing a hand lightly on my shoulder. "And who knows, maybe your fiancé will be joining us."

     Something tells me he's just saying this to calm my nerves; there really is no guarantee I'll be returning at all. I cringe inside at the word "fiancé". With my whole life ahead of me, who thought that at the age of nineteen I would be getting married? If someone had told me this years prior, I would have laughed till I went mad.

     "I'm afraid that's not what's troubling me," I reply, facing back towards the window in order to watch the tall palm trees sway in the slight breeze.

     His tone turns serious with concern. "Then tell me, what's really on your mind?"

I can't help but let out an exasperated sigh before stating my claim. "Father, I just don't think I'm ready for such a big step in my life. Marriage? I haven't even met him and am forced to call him my fiancé!  All of this seems extreme to me, and I'm not sure I can handle it."

My Father chuckles lightly before placing both of his hands on my shoulders. I can feel myself start to clam down by his gentle touch. I turn around to face him.