Chapter Twenty-Six: Searching For Captain Wolfe

I quickly stand to my feet and run down the staircase. My shoes can be seen laying next to the door, but they won't do me any good now, so I leave them there.

I must find Captain Wolfe.

I open one of the Palace doors, and see rain pouring from the sky. Can this get any worse?
My mind scatters as I run down the steps of the Palace barefoot. The rain soaks my green gown as I run onto the cobble stone street.

"Eric!" I yell as I cup my hands around my mouth, "Eric!"

The only way I'll be able to find out where they are keeping him, is if I retrace our steps. I begin running as fast as I can down to the dock.

As I stand in front of the wall were I sat with Captain Wolfe, I run forward and turn the corner where they had dragged him around.

"Eric!" I scream again, "Eric where are you?"

I listen through the rain with all my might, until I hear a faint sound of a yell. My red hair clings to my face as I listen once more. My heart begins to pound even louder than it did back at the Palace.

"Kate!" The voice faintly calls.

My feet travel down the alley quickly, looking at and into every home and shop.

"Eric!" I cry.

"Kate! Kate!" The voice calls out in response. I look up at a tiny, barred window.

"Oh God." I say, jumping to try and glimpse into the barred window. My theory does not work.

The sight of fingers reaching out of the window confirm to me that it is him. I quickly look around at my surroundings and see an open crate of apples. Pushing the crate over against the wall, I close the lid and stand on top, finally able to see the sight of Captain Wolfe's face.

I smile and cry at the sight of his face. Due to the shackles around his wrists, only his fingers are able to fit out the barred window. His fingers cup themselves around my face as it is brought closer to the window. Our lips just touch through the bars, but that's all I needed.

"We need to get you out of here!" I say. "Adam's going to have you hanged because I won't marry him!"

"You refused his marriage proposal even when it would be to save my life?" He asks.

"I thought there would be another way- I couldn't just-" I say brokenly. "You knew that would be his plan?" I ask out of confusion.

"Of course! He is my Brother- I should be able to predict his next actions. Plus, that's usually the plan of anyone who wants to win power." Captain Wolfe says wiping the rain off my eyes with a smile.

"We still need to get you out of here, he said he's going to hang you at dawn!" I tell him once more as I begin to shake.

"Kate." Captain Wolfe says.

"What?"

"I want you to accept his proposal." Captain Wolfe answers.

I stare with complete confusion at him. "Are you crazy?" I ask him.

"Maybe, but I need you to do this. I have a plan." He says.

"I trust you." As I stare into his eyes, my vision becomes blurred.

"Go back to the Palace, and accept his proposal. I'll see you soon, I promise." He says, touching my face once more with his fingers.

"I'll see you soon." I say, pressing my head against the bars, kissing him once again.

I jump off the crate, and place it back where it was before I start running all the way back to the Palace. My mind thinks rapidly of what I'm about to do, and that's when I begin to feel the fear build inside of me at last.