Chapter Forty: You Can't Handle The Truth.

Grace's P.O.V

Suddenly, I feel my body come alive and just as my eyes open, I hear certain voices, making my eyes snap shut.

"You had a gun? Why the hell do you have a gun?" A voice which sounds like Luke says, the anger in his voice is clear. I hear a sob, followed by a quiet voice which is definitely Bree.

"I have it for emergencies." Bree says, her voice breaking.

"Oh and so you nearly killed yourself because you thought it was an emergency? Is that right, mom?" Luke says and the memories of before when I tried to stop Bree from shooting herself come into my mind. The sudden urge to stop the two from either getting into an argument or getting upset appears in my mind and I open my eyes, looking at Luke who is staring into his mom's eyes, a flash of hurt and anger in them.

I clear my throat loudly, hoping that I get their attention and just as I thought, Bree and Luke look over and they both run over to me. Luke holds me in his arms but I wince loudly, the pain in my shoulder making me clench my teeth. Luke instantly pulls away and frowns at me.

"Sorry," He mumbles and I shake my head, waving him off.

"Its okay." I say and before Luke or I can say another word, Bree steps in front of Luke and sends me a small frown.

"I'm sorry I did this to you. It shouldn't of been you that got shot, it should've been-" Before Bree can continue, Luke growls, making Bree shut up. She sends her son a sad look before turning back to me. "Are you okay?" Bree asks and I look at my shoulder which is bandaged up.

"I guess so. Just no hugs." I say, cracking a smile which makes Bree chuckle. All of a sudden, a doctor and a police officer walks into the room, their eyes landing on me.

"Your awake." The doctor says and I nod. He walks over, grabs the clipboard on the end of my bed and reads it before grabbing out a pen and ticking something off.

"Grace," The doctor starts. "We've successfully pulled the bullet out of your shoulder but just to make sure that you are okay, we need you to stay a night. You know, to check you blood pressure, heart rate - all of that stuff." The doctor says and I nod again, completely fine with staying one more night. I just hope that it is just for one night because with everything that I have had to deal with at hospitals, I don't want to start having nightmares.

Oh, I'm so lucky I haven't been having nightmares...

"Now, I'll be back soon but in the meantime, Constable Wilkins wants to have a chat with you." The doctor says before leaving the room. I look over at the officer who is sending me a small smile.

"I believe we've met before." The officer says and as I begin to think, a small smile spreads across my face. The police officer that took me into protective custody, I think. Oh, what is his name again?

"Jackson." I say, finally remembering and he nods, the smile still on his face. He looks me over and a light chuckle escapes his lips.

"You seem to have one hell of a life, huh?" Jackson says and I nod, the smile still on my face. Before I can say a word, Luke stands beside Jackson and sends him a glare.

"I'm getting a vibe that I don't like..." Luke says and I chuckle.

"Luke-"

"Are you flirting with my girlfriend?" Luke asks and Jackson's eyes widen a little. He laughs and shakes his head.

"I'm twenty five, dude. I don't hit on people's girlfriends." Jackson says and Luke's features soften. I shake my head at Luke and send Jackson an apologetic look. Jackson just laughs it off.