Chapter Forty Seven: Do You Know The Gender Of The Baby?

Grace's P.O.V

I sit on the couch and place the bowl of popcorn beside me, grabbing the blanket and throwing it over my body. I get comfortable and place the bowl of popcorn on my lap, watching as the movie Romeo and Juliet begins to play.

After hanging out with Luke for a few hours at his place, I finally decided to head home. Well, that's what I was planning until Luke drove me because he was afraid that someone would attack me. I wasn't complaining though because that made me spend more time with Luke. Now, it is ten o'clock and I have decided to watch a movie as I can't seem to fall asleep.

I hear the door open and I look over to see Eve walk through the door, a sigh escaping her lips. She looks over at me and sends me a small smile.

"Hey Grace." Eve says and I wave at her after shoving a handful of popcorn in my mouth. She walks over at looks at the television, a grin playing on her lips.

"Romeo and Juliet, huh?" Eve asks and I nod, looking back at the television. I hear a chuckle escape from Eve's mouth and I watch in the reflection of the butterfly mirror beside the television as Eve places her handbag on the counter before walking over to the couch to join me.

She sits beside me and I hand her some of the blanket. She thanks me and places it over her legs. I place the popcorn beside our legs and watch as the reporter begins to talk.

All of a sudden, the television goes black and the lights turn off. I gasp and immediately jump up, feeling the popcorn run down my bare leg.

"What the hell is happening?" I ask and when I feel a hand on my shoulder, I let out a scream. Eve laughs and I look to my left when I see a bright light come from somewhere. I look at Eve's face which is lit up by the flashlight on her phone.

"Its a blackout, Grace." Eve explains and I let out a sigh of relief, standing up on my two feet.

"I knew that..." I mumble and Eve let's out another laugh.

"Do you know where some candles are?" Eve asks, also standing up and I nod. She hands me her phone and I use the flashlight to guide me to the kitchen where my mom hid the candles from me since I loved to keep them in my room when it was bedtime.

I pull open the cupboard door under the sink and grab out the three cylinder glasses, placing them on the counter above me. I grab the other three candles and place them with the rest of the candles.

"Now we need to find something that can light them up." Eve says and I nod, trying to remember where my father left the lighters. Suddenly, I walk towards the kitchen door and walk out, heading up the stairs. I walk into my parents' room and begin to search the drawers.

Instead of finding a lighter, my eyes go wide at the sight of a tape recorder.

Another explanation from my parents?

"What the..." I gasp, grabbing the tape recorder and placing it in the pocket of my jumper. I look behind me to see Eve just entering the room and I turn back around, continuing to look for the lighter.

I look in one of the drawers and move the clothes aside to find a blue lighter. I let out a sigh and grab it, closing the drawer. I turn around and hand it to Eve, not wanting to be near the lighter, let alone be holding it.

"Good job, Grace. Now, let's go and light some candles."

●●●

"Do you know the gender of the baby?" I ask, glancing down at Eve's stomach. It is still flat but I can tell that in a couple of weeks, a little bump will begin to show.

Eve smiles and shakes her head. "No, not yet. It's still pretty early in the whole thing so we won't know till later." Eve says and I nod.

"Well, when the time comes and the doctor asks you if you want to know the gender of the baby, what will you say?" I ask, curious about the whole thing. Eve chuckles and shrugs.

"I have no idea. One minute, I want to know if the baby is a boy or a girl but a second later, I don't. I'm still deciding..." Eve explains. "What do you think, Grace?" Eve asks and my head rises up as Eve's voice rings in my head.

"Huh?"

"What do you think I should do?" Eve asks and I furrow my eyebrows. "About the gender of the baby..." Eve adds and I shrug.

"No idea. I mean, you should do whatever you want so I don't see why your asking me. I'm not the one popping a baby out of... there." I say, looking away from Eve who is grinning at me. After a few seconds, she stands up from the seat on the couch and holds her hand out for me to take.

"Come on, I want to show you something." Eve says and I take her hand, getting up on my two feet. She grabs one of the candles and holds it in her left hand as she guides herself to the stairs.

After walking up the stairs, she walks down the hallway and walks into the room she stays in now: the spare room. She places the candle on the table and sits on the bed, reaching under her pillow to grab something. I take a seat next to her and watch as she moves her hand around the pillow, obviously looking for something that she wants to show me.

Eve pulls her hand out from under the pillow and when she shows me the item, I furrow my eyebrows in confusion.

"This is a picture of me, my sister and my parents." Eve says, pointing at the people in the picture. I grab the picture from her hands and look at it, noticing how Eve looks a little... uneasy in the picture. I also notice how Eve's mom's hand is on her shoulder, which is probably why Eve looks so uneasy. I mean, Eve did say that she didn't like her mom because of what she did to her dad.

That sounded a little like my life...

I look at Eve's sister and smile, noticing how close Eve and her sister are. You would expect sisters to be standing a normal distance from each other but when I look at the picture, they look like they don't want to have any distance from each other at all. I glance at Eve's sister's blonde hair and frown in confusion. From what I can see, Eve's parents don't have blonde hair...

"Eve," I ask and she looks over at the picture. "Your sister... why does she have blonde hair when both of your parents have brown hair?" I ask and Eve sighs.

"You know how I said my mom cheated on my father? Well, my father isn't actually Ella's father, if you get what I'm saying." Eve explains and I nod, my lips parting as I piece it all together.

"So where is Ella now?" I ask and Eve let's out a sigh.

"You think that I would know since we were so close but ever since my father died, it's like she didn't want to be around me. That's when Ella ran away and ever since that day, I never saw her since. It's been years..." Eve says and I frown.

"What about your mother? Wouldn't she have some connection to her?" I ask and Eve shrugs.

"I wouldn't know. Besides, I have no plans of talking to my mother. She is the one who broke my family apart anyway." Eve says and I nod.

"Yeah but don't you want to see your sister? I mean, she would be happy that you're having your own child." I smile and Eve let's out a sigh.

"I do... it's just so complicated. I wouldn't even know where to start on how to find Ella. I don't know her dad, I don't want to talk to my mom..." Eve furrows her eyebrows and looks over at me.

"Wait..." Eve mutters, grabbing the candle. She turns to me and smiles. "You could help me."

"Me?" I frown. "I don't even know how to help myself. How will I be able to help you?" I ask and Eve chuckles.

"I'll work out the details. Until then, clean out your schedule for the weekend. We are going to go visit my hometown."

●●●