Chapter 10- The Beginning Of The End

"Zoey, Ricky get up. You need to get ready for school," I wake up to hear my mom screaming.

I get out of bed and get my uniform out of my closet. I go to a Catholic school, so these uniforms are mandatory. I don't hate it though. It's easier to get ready in the morning, and I actually the uniform. The boys' uniform is a little bit different. They wear pants, while girls wear skirts. The boys also have to wear a blazer.

After get changed into my clothes and put on my penny loafers, I go into my bathroom to brush my teeth, brush my hair, and wash my face

I knock on Ricky's door. He opens it, dressed and ready to go.

We grab our backpacks, say goodbye to our parents, and head over to Emery's house.
Once we're outside his house, I text him to come out.

He walks out of his house, dressed in his uniform. He approaches the car and gets in the backseat.

"Morning," I say.
"Morning my love. Morning Ricky," he says.

Ricky drives us to school. We arrive around seven-forty.

We got our homerooms and locker numbers about a week ago. We go to our lockers and put our books inside. Our lockers are in alphabetical order and by grade, so of course Ricky has the locker next to me and Emery's locker is a few lockers down.

After I'm done putting my books in my locker, I go over to Emery's locker to remind him of our plan to hide our relationship for a while.
"Hey," I say, watching him place his books into his locker.
"Hey," he says.
"I just wanted to remind you about our plan," I say quietly.
He looks at me and says, "This is gonna suck."
I laugh.
He closes his locker, putting his backpack on.
He comes close to my ear and whispers, "You owe me a kiss when we get home."
I push his chest saying, "Trust me, I know."

"Hey lovebirds," Ricky says, walking over to us.
Emery and I quickly shush him.
"Oh yea, the plan. Sorry," he says.
"It's okay," Emery says.

We walk through a crowd of students to reach our homeroom. When we walk in, the teacher gives us our schedules for the year.

We have alphabetically assigned seats. Ricky sits in front of me, and Emery sits a row away from us.

We compare our schedules. Emery and Ricky have a lot of the same classes, but since I'm in honors for everything, they're not in many of my classes.
Emery and Ricky have history, science, and literature together. Ricky and I have a study hall and honors calculus together. Emery and I have two study halls and AP Spanish 4 together. We all have lunch and honors music theory together.

We sit down for morning announcements and prayers.
A few minutes later, the bell rings, and we head off to first period.
I walk over to room 203 for calculus with Ricky, after saying goodbye to Emery.

The first day of classes is always the same. The teachers introduce themselves, tell us what we need for the class, and either say that we need to work hard to do well or that the class will be easy and we'll get through it 'together'.

Third period I have study hall with neither Emery or Ricky. I sit down at a table in the library and all of a sudden hear a scream. That was no regular scream. That was a Clare scream.

I look to where I heard the scream from and see her.
"Clare," I say, getting up and running over to her.
"Zoey," she screams, hugging me.
"You're in this study hall?" I ask her.
"Yep," she says.
We sit down and talk about the past week, because we haven't seen each other since our sleepover.

I go to one more class, and then it's time for lunch.
The lunch periods are separated by grade, so each grade has lunch with the other students in their grade.
I sit at my regular table with Clare, Emery, and Ricky.
I'm the first one at the table, so I sit down.
"Hey," I hear Emery suddenly whisper into my ear.
"Hey. I was waiting for you so we could get lunch together," I say.
We go on the lunch line. I order a cheese quesadilla, while Emery orders a sandwich.
Once we get back to the table, we see Ricky and Clare's backpacks and assume they went to get lunch.
Ricky and Clare come back at the table, laughing.
Clare sits across from me, and Ricky sits next to her, across from Emery.
"What's so funny guys?" I ask them.
"We heard Charlotte and Mason talking on the lunch line," Clare says.
"What did they say?" Emery asks.
"Well we heard the middle of they're conversation. Mason was saying something about you, Zoey. Then Charlotte said something like, 'But, isn't she with Emery'. Then Mason said," Ricky says, but Clare cuts him off by slapping his arm.
Clare gives him a look, making Emery and I confused.
"What did he say?" I ask.
"Nothing," Clare says.
"Ricky, what did he say?" Emery pushes.
"Bro, I don't think you want to know," Ricky says.
"Tell me," Emery pushes again.
"He said, 'No way would she ever be with him. She's way out of that asswipe's league'," Ricky says, scared of what will happen when the words leave his mouth.
"Oh," I say.
Emery stays silent.
I hold his hand under the table.
He looks at me and gives me a fake smile.
"Don't listen to any of that bullcrap. They don't know you, Em. They don't know us," I say.
He remains silent for the rest of lunch.

Last period Emery and I have AP Spanish. I walk into the classroom to see Emery sitting alone.
I sit next to him and say, "Are you okay, Em?"
"Yea. I'm good," he says, giving me a fake smile.

Charlotte walks into the classroom and sits down next to me.
"Hey Zoey. How was your summer?" she says.
"Good. How was yours, Charlotte?" I ask her.
"It was fine. We should've hung out more. I missed you," she says, bumping my shoulder.

I know what you're probably thinking. 'Are you kidding me? Why are you talking to Charlotte?' Well, she didn't say that stuff about Emery. I've known her forever, and I know she probably stood up for him after Mason said that. We met in elementary school, and we're pretty good friends. We're the type of friends who, you know, talk but don't feel comfortable talking about everything.

After Spanish, Emery and I walk to our lockers. We get what we need from our lockers and meet Ricky by the car.

We drive back to my house.
Ricky goes into his room, while Emery and I into my room.

As soon as we walk into my room, Emery closes the door behind him and pounces on me, tackling me onto the bed.
He hugs me and says, "I missed this."
I laugh at his actions and kiss his cheek.

"Are you sure you're fine with what happened at lunch today?" I ask him.
"Yea," he says, genuinely happy.
"What? I mean, you looked so sad before. What changed your mind?" I ask.
"I realized something," he says.
"What did you realize?" I ask, intrigued.
"It's the beginning of the end of all of this," he tells me.
I smile, and he smiles back.

"Now you owe me a kiss," he says, pushing me down underneath him on the bed.
"Do I now?" I say, putting my arms around his neck.
He shakes his head at me and rolls his eyes playfully, lowering his head to mine, making our lips touch.

Chapter 10 Author's Note:
Thanks so much for reading. Please comment your favorite line, leave your overall comments below, vote, recommend, and follow for updates. Thank you, again.