Chapter 13- Good Decision

Everything becomes silent for a few minutes, Clare and Ricky still staring at each other. I stand up from the couch, grab Emery's hand, and drag him off to the corner of the room.
"Why'd you do that?" he asks in a whisper yell.
"I don't know. It felt like a good decision at the time," I say.
"Well, now they're not saying anything, and it's really awkward," he says.
"What do we do?" I ask.
"I don't know," he says.
I look down at my feet, feeling as though I messed everything up.
Emery brings his arm around my shoulders and pulls me into his chest.
"It'll be okay," he says, kissing the top of my head.
"Okay. Let's go back to them," I say.

We walk back over to Clare and Ricky to see they haven't moved.
"Um guys," I say, making both of their heads move to look in my direction.
"How about since we all lost, we don't do that whole running down the street thing?" I ask, and everyone agrees.
"Zoey, do you want to go up to your room now? I have to leave in an hour," Clare says.
"Uh, sure," I say.

Clare and I leave the boys and go up to my room.
Clare shuts the door and directly flops onto my bed.
"He likes me," she says in a dreamy tone.
"I know," I say.
"Why didn't you tell me?" she asks.
"I wanted you two to find out on your own," I tell her.
"So, you thought making us all lose 'Never Have I Ever' was a good way for us to find out on our own?" she says.
"Yep," I say.
She gets up and tackles me in a hug.
"What happens now?" she asks.
"I guess we'll have to wait and see," I say.

About an hour later, Clare and I go downstairs.
"I'll text you later, Zoey," she says, opening my front door to leave.
"Wait," we hear Ricky's voice say.
Clare turns around to meet his eyes.
"Can I walk you out to your car?" he asks Clare.
"Um, sure," she says.
Emery comes over to me as I watch the two of them walk down the pathway in the front yard.
We listen closely to their conversation.
"So, about that 'never have I ever'," Ricky starts as they get closer to Clare's car.
"Yea," Clare says.
"I don't know how to say this, so I'm just gonna put myself out there. I like you Clare, a lot," Ricky then says.
"I like you a lot too," Clare says, making Ricky smile big.
He takes one of her hands in his and asks her, "Would you like to go on a date with me tomorrow night? Emery told me that Zoey and him are going on a date, so I thought we could double date."
"That sounds perfect," Clare says.
They hug and say their goodbyes.

As soon as he sees her car drive off, Ricky screams, "Finally!"
Emery and I laugh.
He walks into the house, still with a huge smile on his face.
"So?" Emery asks.
"My cheeks hurt so much, but I don't care," he says, smiling even bigger.
"I'm so happy for you two, Ricky," I say hugging him.
"Me too, Bro," Emery says.
Ricky picks me up and spins me around. When he puts me down he says, "I love you, Zoey," and hugs me again.
"I love you too, Ricky," I say.
Ricky dances up the stairs to his room, making Emery and I laugh again.

"See, everything's okay, perfect even," Emery says, putting his arm around me.
"Um, actually it's not perfect," I say.
"What? What's wrong?" he asks, worried.
"Who said you could invite them on our date?" I ask, sounding mad but actually just kidding.
"I'm sorry. I just thought that it would be better for them, and then Ricky asked me and-," he starts, going off on a tangent.
"I was just kidding, Em," I say.
"Ugh. I hate you," he jokes, pushing me away.
"I hate you too," I say, putting my arms around his neck, and breaking the space barrier between us by pecking his lips.

About fifteen minutes later, I get a text from Clare.

Clare : FaceTime. Now.

I leave Emery downstairs and go up to my room to FaceTime her.
I don't even hear a ring before she answers.
All I see on the screen is the ceiling in her room. I assume that she is laying in her bed, and placed her phone next to her.
"Dead," is all she says.
She picks up her phone, and I see her face appear.
"Me too," I scream.
"I honestly can't thank you enough, Zoey, for giving us that push," she says.
I smile and she squeals, "I have to go, but I'll see you tomorrow at our double date."
"See you then," I say and hang up.

I go back downstairs to see Emery sitting on the couch in my living room, the screen of his phone lighting up his face.
I sneak up behind him to see he's looking at pictures of us.
I watch as he flips through his camera roll, his smiling growing each time he sees a new picture.
He flips to the last picture in his camera roll, a picture we took the other day.

I bend down next to his ear and whisper, "That's my favorite one."
He shivers.
"Me too," he then whispers, turning his head around, making our faces not even an inch apart.
I laugh.
"You're too easy," I say.
He playfully rolls his eyes, stands up, and comes over to me.
"Can I sleep in your room tonight?" he asks.
"I'll have to think about it," I joke.
All of a sudden, he picks me up and throws me over his shoulder, carrying me up the stairs.

We get to my room, and he plops me down onto my bed.
He takes off his shirt and lays down next to me. I immediately put my leg on top of him, and he puts his arm around me.
"Goodnight, my love," he says, kissing my head.
"Goodnight, Em," I say.
I place my head on his chest and drift off to sleep, listening to the beautiful sound of his heartbeat.

Chapter 13 Author's Note:
Thanks so much for reading. Please comment your favorite line, leave your overall comments below, vote, recommend, and follow for updates. Thank you, again.